Living in the Keweenaw and working at Michigan Tech, we know how to handle slippery conditions outside with all of the snow and ice, but slips and falls are just as likely to occur inside. To avoid these situations here are some tips for staying clear of tripping hazards.
- Wear proper footwear—shoes with good traction.
- Using handrails when available will help you stay upright.
- Avoid distractions while walking, like looking at a cellphone.
- When entering buildings be sure to wipe your feet, this prevents slippery areas and helps keep the floor dry and clear of debris.
- Keeping your home and office area well-lit will help you to be aware of potential hazards you may have forgotten about.
- Ensure that electrical and phone cords are secured away from high-traffic areas, like hallways and around employees’ desks.
- Always keep cabinets and drawers closed when not in use.
If you ever find yourself in need of assistance please contact Public Safety at (906) 487-2216.