Student Spotlight: Orientation Week from Danielle

So, I’m two weeks into my career at Michigan Tech. It seems like such a short period of time but there has been so much going on that the days run together.

Let’s start with orientation week… At Tech they give you an entire week to make the transition into college AND they keep you busy along the way. There is no way I could ever talk about all of the things that go on during orientation, so I am going to tell you about a few of the events that I went to that were pretty awesome. First off, I will just say that there are a lot of sessions, lecture, presentations, and meetings everyday where you get to meet the faculty, learn how to stay healthy and safe on campus, and discover campus resources. There is so much information out there that these are the best ways to get in the know. However, during orientation week Tech also puts on a lot of activities just for fun! You get to meet a ton of new people and have a great time. These are the things that I am going to talk about.

It was dark out and was closing in on midnight. I was on the campus green with about with about 5 other people when a group of about 40-50 guys started sprinting straight at us…a little scary! We were playing capture the flag. The five of us were trying to protect the perceived flag from the other team. We failed, being so few in number, but luckily it was only a decoy flag. The game consists of hundreds of students running around campus at night trying to find and bring their team’s flag back to “neutral ground”. Everyone being smart and cunning there was a lot of strategy and even more competition. A unique experience!

Now to wear off that banana split (as if walking up and down all the hills on campus is not enough) I went on a hiking trip to the Porcupine Mountains. Michigan being Michigan, it rained all day! Despite the weather we had a great time. While we hiking we were up in the clouds—a constant haze. At times it would lighten up enough to see the lake down below, but it was beautiful all the same!

During the week we also had a campus wide scavenger hunt. All of the freshman divided into teams and picked team captains. These team captains received hints via texting that led us around campus. Not only was it interesting but it was a great way to get comfortable with campus and learn about all of the resources that are available to you as a student.

The next three events were late night activities. The first was a comedian. It was free to all Tech students and their families. She was hilarious! Let me tell you a little something great about Tech…there is always a free event going on, or a least one that is very inexpensive. Take ADVANTAGE of them! From movies, to sports, to comedians you will not get bored. On the last night of orientation a dance was put on in the McNair courtyard—a real dance, with lights, blaring music, and lots of people. Tech knows how to have fun!

So, I don’t know about you now, but after only one week, I can say that I have eaten a 500ft long banana split, played capture the flag with hundreds of other people, and hiked among the clouds. And there are how many weeks in the school year?

Our guest blogger, Danielle Boettger, is from Dearborn, MI and is majoring in Economics at the School of Business and Economics at Michigan Tech.