I. Job Summary This position performs basic engineering and environmental sciences techniques and procedures in support of the WM Corporate Air Program. This position assists in the development and maintenance of company-wide programs, procedures, templates, and tools related to air quality permitting and compliance. Basic knowledge of landfill and landfill gas design and operations and applicable federal regulations is desirable. Position requires bias / education background in the sciences and / or engineering. Position also requires competence in working in a highly government regulated environment and the ability to work closely with various corporate and field entities.
II. Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Other minor duties may be assigned.
- Uses prescribed methods and perform portions of a broader assignment which requires the application of advanced engineering/environmental science techniques and procedures in support of Corporate Air Programs.
- Applies standard practices and techniques in specific situations, adjust and correlate data, recognize discrepancies in results and follow through as necessary.
- Reviews data and prepare recommendations, summaries, and cost estimates for consideration by senior engineers or managers.
- Utilizes basic engineering skill set to assist engineers and managers that are more senior.
- Writes technical reports to document analysis and findings.
- May act as a liaison with customer and vendor representatives to ensure adherence to design specification and customer requirements.
- Assists in development of national and/or Group standards relating to the protection, control, and management of landfill gas and air emissions for field implementation.
- Assists with development and implementation of Air Programs training materials and curriculum for WM staff.
- Assists in analysis and development of company response to new or changing air quality regulations on a regional and national basis.
- Possesses interpersonal skills in developing stakeholder acceptance. Utilize communication and social skills to gain and maintain support for corporate Air Programs.
- Supports Climate Care (Greenhouse gas reporting/carbon footprint) data management and report generation.
III. Supervisory Responsibilities This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
IV. Qualifications The requirements listed below are representative of the qualifications necessary to perform the job. A. Education and Experience Required: Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience in engineering or the sciences or four years of experience in a professional engineering or environmental science position. Preferred: Bechelor’s Degree in Engineering or Science. Knowledge of federal regulations impacting waste disposal operations; GHG regulatory programs and inventory protocols. B. Certificates, Licenses, Registrations or Other Requirements None required. C. Other Knowledge, Skills or Abilities Required General computer acumen, proficiency with MS Office, and ability to learn other job-related software as required.
V. Work Environment Listed below are key points regarding environmental demands and work environment of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Required to use motor coordination with finger dexterity (such as keyboarding, machine operation, etc) most of the work day;
- Required to exert physical effort in handling objects less than 30 pounds part of the work day;
- Required to be exposed to physical occupational risks (such as cuts, burns, exposure to toxic chemicals, etc) rarely;
- Required to be exposed to physical environment which involves dirt, odors, noise, weather extremes or similar elements a portion of the work day or week;
- Normal setting for this job is an office setting and landfill and hazardous waste sites.
Apply online to this position.