Supporter. Donor. Michigan Tech Huskies Fan.

IMG_5414Jim Sarazin has donated every year for almost 40 years to Michigan Technological University and the last 20 of those years have been a member of the President Club.

He’s been a fitness member at the Student Development Center since the doors opened in 1979.

And, for nearly 40 years he and his wife Linda have been season ticket holders to Michigan Tech hockey games and are “avid Tech hockey fans.”

Supporting Michigan Tech in many ways is a part of Sarazin’s life.

His eyes were opened to giving and making an impact during a conversation with Professor Bert Whitten who was Sarazin’s biology teacher and advisor at Michigan Tech.

“He was starting a medical alumni scholarship and he asked me to donate,” Sarazin says.

And, so began his giving to Michigan Tech. And, he has consistently supported the University especially the medical alumni scholarship, the Huskies Club, and the Rozsa Center.

“A moderate amount of giving over time makes a difference,” he says. “I feel good about supporting Michigan Tech, and I believe in it. It’s been a large part of our lives. Michigan Tech means everything to the community. Tech is all around us. It got me where I am.”

Sarazin is the fourth generation from the Keweenaw. His great-grandfather traversed Canada to settle in the Bootjack area in the 1800s. There the Sarazin family built what is now the Dreamland Restaurant and Bar where two of Sarazin’s siblings operate it today.

He says the Keweenaw and Michigan Tech are entwined in his life. “My family is here. My life is here. My work is here. Michigan Tech is here. It’s just a part of me.”

Sarazin is a dentist in Hancock and has served the community for almost 42 years. He is married to his wife Linda of 45 years. Their son, Tyler ’07, is a dentist and is working with his dad at their practice, Sarazin Dental in downtown Hancock. And, son Ryan is a history teacher and hockey coach in Fond du Lac, Wisconsin. The couple enjoy spending time with their three grandchildren.

Sarazin credits Michigan Tech with helping him become a dentist. The couple both graduated from Lake Linden High School. After graduation, Sarazin enrolled in pre-medicine at Michigan Tech, taking the pre-med/pre-dental curriculum with an emphasis on the chemistry and biology courses, before attending the University of Michigan to complete dental school.

“It was a no-brainer to come to Michigan Tech,” says Sarazin. “I have a deep appreciation for the start of my education at Tech. Education is so important.”

After completing dental school, the Sarazins returned to the Keweenaw where he opened his practice in Hancock.

And, Sarazin traded in his University of Michigan apparel for Michigan Tech clothing. He says they continue to meet Michigan Tech graduates at chance encounters across the country from Hawaii to Florida.

“You’re always two to three people away from a Michigan Tech alum,” says. “Tech is deeper and reaches out farther than you know. It’s a respected institution.”