The Science, Mathematics And Research for Transformation (SMART) Scholarship for Service Program has been established by the Department of Defense (DoD) to support undergraduate and graduate students pursuing degrees in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) disciplines.
- a U.S. citizen at time of application,
- 18 years of age or older as of August 1, 2012,
- able to participate in summer internships at DoD laboratories,
- willing to accept post-graduate employment with the DoD,
- a student in good standing with a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale (as calculated by the SMART application) and,
- pursuing an undergraduate or graduate degree in one of the disciplines listed on the About SMART page.
- Full tuition and education related fees (does not include items such as meal plans, housing, or parking)
- Cash award paid at a rate of $25,000 – $41,000 depending on prior educational experience (may be prorated depending on award length)
- Paid summer internships
- Health Insurance reimbursement allowance up to $1,200 per calendar year
- Book allowance of $1,000 per academic year
- Employment placement after graduation