Applications for Summer 2018 PHF Graduate Assistantships are being accepted beginning January 22, 2018 and are due no later than 4pm, February 28, 2018 to Dr. Debra Charlesworth in the Graduate School. Instructions on the application and evaluation process are found online.
Students are eligible if all of the following criteria are met:
- Must be a PhD student participating in health-related research that is aligned with the PHF’s mission.
- Must be eligible for or in Research Mode at the time of application.
- Must be 2 years after starting the graduate program at the time of application.
- Must not have previously received a PHF Graduate Assistantship.
Priority will be given to students originally from Houghton, Keweenaw, Baraga, or Ontonagon counties. Non-resident students and international students are encouraged to apply if their health research is applicable to health needs and job shortages of our local community (obesity research, rural health, medical informatics, drug delivery and lab testing, physical therapy, etc.).
These assistantships are available through the generosity of the Portage Health Foundation. They are intended to recognize outstanding PhD talent in health-oriented research areas. Applicants should be a catalyst for promoting and improving the overall health of Houghton, Keweenaw, Baraga, and Ontonagon communities through one of the following:
- health research and technology development
- health education or preventive and wellness initiatives
- rural healthcare access, informatics, and assessment of care
Students who receive full support through a PHF Graduate Assistantship may not accept any other employment. For example, students cannot be fully supported by a PHF Graduate Assistantship and accept support as a GTA or GRA.