Celebrate the beauty and bounty of Lake Superior. Copper Harbor community volunteers, along with the Lake Superior Stewardship Initiative, are organizing the second annual Lake Superior Day Festival, Sunday, July 20, with lots of special activities at the 6th Street Dock along the Copper Harbor Boardwalk (near Isle Royale Queen boat dock).
UPDATE: See Photo Gallery from 2014 Lake Superior Day in Copper Harbor Michigan
* Enjoy fish stew (Kalamojakka), homemade pies, rieska (Finnish flatbread) and more for a community picnic ($5 donation suggested).
* Canoe races and kayak demonstrations
* Interactive art (paint the model freighter)
* ROV (remotely operated vehicle) demonstrations by the Dollar Bay High School S.O.A.R. team
* Learn about the health of Lake Superior from a presentation by Great Lakes scientist Marcel Dijkestra from Michigan Tech Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering.
* Live music, poetry, and more.
From 1 to 4 p.m., attendees can find out how scientists study the Great Lakes by taking a 25-minute scientific excursion in the harbor aboard Michigan Tech’s research vessel the Agassiz. These excursions are offered as part of the Ride the Waves Program with funding from General Motors.
The Agassiz will depart every half-hour from the Isle Royale Queen dock beginning at 1 p.m. Participants must be at least seven years old, and children must be accompanied by an adult. All should wear closed-toe shoes. Space is limited. Interested participants may pre-register for an excursion on the Agassiz by calling 7-3341 or email Lloyd Wescoat at firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information about the event, contact lead organizer, Don Kilpela, Isle Royale Queen captain, at 289-4735.
Lake Superior Day is celebrated on the third Sunday in July in many communities around Lake Superior. The event, now in its 11th year, is spearheaded by the Lake Superior Binational Forum to highlight the special connections people have to this unique world treasure.
To learn more about Lake Superior Day events around the lake, visit the Lake Superior Binational Forum. The Michigan Department of Environmental Quality Office of the Great Lakes also provides information on Lake Superior and the other Great Lakes at the Department of Environmental Quality, or visit
See Photo Gallery from 2014 Lake Superior Day in Copper Harbor Michigan