Copper Harbor community volunteers, along with the Lake Superior Stewardship Initiative, Organized the second annual Lake Superior Day Festival, Sunday, July 20, with lots of special activities at the 6th Street Dock along the Copper Harbor Boardwalk (near Isle Royale Queen boat dock).
UPDATE: See Photo Gallery from 2014 Lake Superior Day in Copper Harbor Michigan
Lake Superior Magazine featured photos of the Michigan Tech Research Vessel Agassiz and other activities at Lake Superior Day at Copper Harbor last Sunday. See photos 23-27 at Lake Superior Day.
Daily Mining Gazette: Lake Superior Day: A Superior celebration
Copper Harbor activities included:
* Enjoy fish stew (Kalamojakka), homemade pies, rieska (Finnish flatbread) and more for a community picnic ($5 donation suggested).
* Canoe races and kayak demonstrations
* Interactive art (paint the model freighter)
* ROV (remotely operated vehicle) demonstrations by the Dollar Bay High School S.O.A.R. team
* Learn about the health of Lake Superior from a presentation by Great Lakes scientist Marcel Dijkestra from Michigan Tech Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering.
* Live music, poetry, and more.
From 1 to 4 p.m., attendees found out how scientists study the Great Lakes by taking a 25-minute scientific excursion in the harbor aboard Michigan Tech’s research vessel the Agassiz. These excursions were offered as part of the Ride the Waves Program with funding from General Motors. The Agassiz left the Isle Royale Queen dock every half-hour beginning at 1 p.m.
Lake Superior Day is celebrated on the third Sunday in July in many communities around Lake Superior. The event, now in its 11th year, is spearheaded by the Lake Superior Binational Forum to highlight the special connections people have to this unique world treasure.
For more information about the event, contact Lake Superior Day lead organizer, Don Kilpela, Isle Royale Queen captain in Copper Harbor
To learn more about Lake Superior Day events around the lake, visit the Lake Superior Binational Forum. The Michigan Department of Environmental Quality Office of the Great Lakes also provides information on Lake Superior and the other Great Lakes at the Department of Environmental Quality, or visit
See Photo Gallery from 2014 Lake Superior Day in Copper Harbor Michigan