World Water Day 2017: Wastewater
Michigan Tech GLRC celebration dates: March 20-23, 2017
Copper Country Today Radio Show focuses on World Water Day
Sunday, March 19 at
- 7:00 am on 97.7 The Wolf, and
- 8:00 am on 1400AM/99.3FM WCCY
- 9:00 am on K-Bear 102.3
Latika Gupta, Daisuke Minakata, and Joan Chadde join Rick Allen to discuss World Water Day events at Michigan Tech the week of March 20, and they also expand on the “Wastewater” theme of this year’s celebration.
Dr. George Tchobanoglous, professor emeritus from the University of California, Davis, has accepted our invitation to present the World Water Day Distinguished Lecture. His areas of interest include wastewater treatment and solid waste management, and he has been the author or co-author of 23 textbooks and eight engineering reference books.
This year’s activities will include
- “Water’s Edge: Paintings by Danielle Clouse Gast” (GLRC, March 14 – April 30)
- Wastewater Footprint Display (MUB Commons Area, March 20-23)
- Student Poster Competition (Dow Lobby-Campus side, March 21-22)
- Dr. Tchobanoglous’ World Water Day Keynote Lecture (5:00 pm in Dow 641, March 21)
“Planned Potable Reuse: The Last Frontier”
- Panel Discussion “Wastewater: Health, Energy, Ecosystems, and Sustainable Communities” (10:00 am in GLRC 202, March 22)
Moderator: Latika Gupta, School of Business and Economics, Michigan Tech
- George Tchobanoglous, UC-Davis
- Evelyn Ravindran, Keweenaw Bay Indian Community
- Neil Hutzler, Portage Lake Sewage Authority
- Dirty Water Competition (4:00 pm in the MUB Commons Area, March 22)
Register your team of 3-4 people
- Green Film, “Last Call at the Oasis” (7:00 pm in Forestry G002, March 23)
Students may enter “Original Research” posters based on their thesis work, or they may enter “Coursework/Informational” posters based on coursework or literature-based research. Additional points are earned for incorporating the World Water Day theme, Wastewater, in the Coursework/Informational posters. Cash prizes are awarded in both categories.
Return to the Great Lakes Research Center News page for updates on World Water Day activities.
Sponsors include the Great Lakes Research Center, Civil & Environmental Engineering, Geological and Mining Engineering and Sciences, Social Sciences, Sustainable Futures Institute, Ecosystem Science Center, Biological Sciences, Visual & Performing Arts, The Center for Science and Environmental Outreach.