Michigan Tech IT is looking forward to the start of the fall semester and all the new students who begin to arrive on August 23. Below are some helpful things to know before you get to campus.
- Michigan Tech has negotiated many software packages for students to install and use on their personal computers at no cost while at Michigan Tech. Software availability varies by major but includes: AutoCAD, EndNote, Matlab, Mathematica, Microsoft Office 365 ProPlus, Microsoft DreamSpark, Microsoft Security Essentials, and more. Most of the contracts require that you be an active current student to download and install, so software will be available once the fall semester begins. Visit the software download center at: http://downloads.it.mtu.edu.
- If you haven’t already done so, make your New Student Orientation weekend a little easier by uploading a photo for your Michigan Tech HuskyCard ID. You can do this by logging in at mymichigantech.mtu.edu and following the HuskyCard photo item instructions. Students without a photo uploaded will need to have their photo taken on campus and wait for their card to print; students who upload their photo in advance will have their pre-printed card waiting for them at HuskyCard pickup.
- Wireless routers are not allowed in the residence halls. Save yourself time and money by not buying a wireless router. If a student has a wireless router that we detect, we will ask the student to remove the router to reduce interference with our existing wireless network.
- Over the summer, Michigan Tech IT hired a consulting firm to evaluate wireless connectivity throughout campus. Based on their report and feedback from residence hall students, we are in the process of deploying and activating nearly 700 new access points in the residence halls, which results in roughly one access point in every other room. This project will provide exceptional wireless coverage throughout the halls. This project will not be complete before move in weekend. It will be a continuous process until all access point are active. We appreciate your patience and cooperation as we finish this important project.
- Printing is available throughout campus and the residence halls. Find out where printers are available on our web site at http://www.it.mtu.edu/printing/. Information on printing in the residence halls is at http://www.it.mtu.edu/res-print/.
- Finally, Michigan Tech IT is available to help you with any IT issues you experience as you begin the new year. Please contact us at email@example.com or (906) 487-1111.