How to change your major or add a minor/concentration

Change major: Meet with your new advisor.  Advisors for each major are listed online.

  1. Find out the latest requirements for your proposed major from the department offering the major. See Degree Audits or go to the department website for flowcharts. Find out requirements for declaring your new major regarding GPA, probation status, etc.
  2. Some credits you’ve taken may be applied toward your new major – see the advisor for the new major to confirm your progress towards the new requirements and get any information on possible substitutions.
  3. Fill out a “Curriculum Add/Drop Form” to change your major. Take it to the new major advisor to be signed & processed.  Major changes made after Wednesday of the 2nd week of a semester will not be effective until the next semester.
  4. The new major advisor will handle all course enrollment issues and will register students and/or process waivers as appropriate.

Add a minor: Meet with the proper advisor.  Advisors for each minor are listed online.

  1. Find out the latest requirements for your chosen minor online or get it from the department offering the minor.
  2. Credits may count towards both your major and minor. Some minor courses are also ME technical electives and some courses are HASS General Education distribution courses.  Some may even be specific requirements for your major as well as the minor.
  3. Minors have no minimum additional credit requirements. However, you may need to plan for extra credits if pursuing a minor outside of the ME-EM Dept (e.g. electrical engineering).
  4. To declare a minor, fill out a Curriculum Add/Drop form.
  5. Take the form to the minor advisor to be signed & processed.  You must declare a minor to receive it, even if all the courses are already completed.  The minor must be declared prior to graduation.

A minor requires a minimum of 18 credit hours of course work, but the actual number required varies by specific curricula.  Of the minimum 18 credits required,  at least 9 credits of the 3000-level or higher courses must be taken at Michigan. Students interested in adding a minor to their degree program must consult an academic advisor for their major as well as the minor advisor.  It is a good idea to provide a copy of the minor audit, showing the planned completion of that curriculum, to the major advisor. The major advisor can help identify courses that double count and any additional credits that may be necessary.

Declared minors must be completed in order to award the degree associated with a minor. An incomplete minor will delay the awarding of the degree and processing of the diploma (i.e. a degree and associated minor(s) must be completed concurrently). A minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 for courses completed as part of the minor must be earned in order to award the minor. Minors may be dropped by students to allow the graduation process to proceed and credits may not be shared between multiple minors.

Certificates: Certificates may only be completed after completion of a BS degree (i.e. a certificate may only be completed by post graduate students – students that have already graduated).