Student Stories

By Leslie Mundell, 4th year English major

This year marks my fourth summer spent at Michigan Tech and the last summer break of my college life. The fall semester is here, and even though Fall is my favorite season—I’m dreaming of the leaves changing color and the crisp weather—I want to hold on to what we have left of this month.

I was born and raised in the Upper Peninsula, so I have always been around nature, but the Copper County has something special about it. When summer rolls around at Tech, campus slows down. It’s nice to have a break from the hustle and bustle of the school year. Walking around campus during the summer—instead of running to your next class— makes you realize how great our school is, whether you notice the Keweenaw Boulder Garden or have time to appreciate the flowers that bloom when our long winters end.

This summer was unlike any of the others that I have experienced at Tech. Since my last semester is this fall, I have been preparing throughout the past four months. I made a list early on of what I wanted to achieve and what I needed to do to get ready for the semester. Summer always flies by, and I wanted to make the best of my time while also being able to relax from a busy school year.

To make the most of my summer I have been doing more reading, writing, working, outside activities and occasionally binge-watching my favorite shows. I have been working on campus and gaining experiences and learning skills that will help me not only in a few months, when I graduate, but also when I enter the workforce. I spend my free time when I’m not working exploring the area more and appreciating the outdoors before the many months of snow begin. My dog loves to walk down by Prince’s Point–even if he’s afraid of the water. When I’m not outside, I have been doing the things I don’t have as much time for in the school year. Sadly, my book pile is growing quicker than I can read them, but one perk of being an English major is that I’ll be reading a lot during the coming semester.

Even though I loved being on summer break and having time to sleep in, I am excited for the school year. I’ll be one step closer to starting my future, and I always enjoy seeing new faces around campus. This summer has been my favorite one at Tech because I have taken the time to fully enjoy what this amazing place can offer.