The electronic W-2’s are now available on Banweb for all employees that have consented to an electronic copy. Paper forms of the W-2’s will be mailed the week of January 27th.
The University will be closed December 24, 25, 31 and January 1 due to the observance of Christmas and New Year’s Day. Following are the adjusted deadlines for the pay periods ending 12/21/2013 and 1/4/2014:
BW 26 Deadlines (12/8/2013 – 12/21/2013)
- Status Forms & EPAF’s (BW 26) Monday , 12/9/13 at Noon
- Deduction Forms Friday, 12/13/13 at Noon
- Time Sheets Sent to Departments Friday, 12/13/13 at 9AM
- Paper and Electronic Time Sheets due to Payroll Tuesday, 12/17/13 at Noon
- Web Time Entry Approval Tuesday, 12/17/2013 at 5 PM
****Paychecks and Direct Deposits will be dated 12/27/13.
Michigan Tech is responsible for having a Form I-9 completed for every employee, including all faculty, staff, student employees, contractual employees, fixed-term employees, and those in temporary, causal, seasonal, or short-term positions. For regular employees the Form I-9 is typically completed in Human Resources, but for the majority of our employees (students and temps) these forms are completed in the hiring department.
Not only does the form need to be completed in a very precise manner, of particular importance is the timeliness of completing the Form I-9. The employee must sign and date their portion on or before their first day of employment and the employer’s authorized representative must complete their portion within three business days of the first day of employment.
Mitigating our risk of unauthorized hires and fines for non-compliant Form I-9’s begins within each hiring department and is supported by Human Resources. To give hiring departments more options to ensure well-trained certifiers and to offer more resources for completing the Form I-9 during the fall hiring peak, Human Resources announces the following additional assistance:
- A new Canvas course for departmental Form I-9 certifiers is now available. Please call 487-2130 to enroll.
- An updated Form I-9 Resources webpage contains job aids and instructions. Please visit at http://www.mtu.edu/hr/resources/i-9/
- Human Resources will hold on-campus office hours for the purpose of processing Form I-9’s for departments without trained certifiers or for hiring departments that are swamped with hiring students and temps. Office hours will be 12:00 to 3:00 Monday thru Thursday, located at MUB 101 starting August 19th until September 13th. Please remember that the employee still must sign and date their portion on or before their first day of employment.
- Beginning immediately, Human Resources will provide walk-in Form I-9 processing in person from 9:00 to 12:00, at Human Resources (Lakeshore Center-2nd Floor) for students and temps of hiring departments that need this assistance or that are without trained certifiers. A transportation services shuttle run between the Memorial Union and the Lakeshore Center regularly and the schedule can be found at http://www.mtu.edu/facilities/parking/campus-maps/Shuttle%20Service.pdf. Please remember that the employee still must sign and date their portion on or before their first day of employment.
On March 8, 2013, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) released a new Employment Eligibility Verification Form I-9. Employers should begin using the new Form I-9 with revision date 03/08/13 immediately for all new hires. The revision date is on the lower left of the new form (Rev.03/08/13)N.
The new revised Form I-9 makes several improvements designed to minimize errors in the form completion.
The key revisions to Form I-9 Include:
• Form I-9 is now two pages (not including the form instructions and the List of Acceptable Documents).
• Expanded instructions.
• New fields for e-mail address, phone number and foreign passport (if applicable) in Section 1.
Please contact Payroll Services (7-2130) with any questions or concerns.
All UAW and POA employees are eligible for the Good Friday holiday March 29th, 2013. Please be sure that only a half day is marked for March 29th and not a full day. Thank you.
For the 03/22/2013 paycheck, a Payroll Direct Deposit Authorization form was inserted into all paper check envelopes. This was done to encourage all employees to sign up for direct deposit. This is not a requirement, only encouragement to sign up. Thank you.
Please use earnings code 350 for scheduled hours for hourly employees to be compensated for hours away from work due to the University closure Tuesday, February 19, 2013 beginning at 12:00 p.m. and for Wednesday, February 20, 2013. Employees who were previously approved for vacation or other leave for these hours should use the normal earnings code(s) that apply.
Equal time off at a later date given to those hourly employees that were required to work during the closure (as determined by their supervisor) will also use the 350 earnings code. This should match hour-for-hour any time worked on Tuesday, February 19, 2013 after 12:00 p.m. and for Wednesday, February 20, 2013. This comparable time must be used by June 30, 2013.
The standard calculation for regular time and overtime will apply to employees who were required to work during the closure.
Hourly employees can use vacation or comp time to make up for any hours missed due to exercising personal judgment about their ability to travel prior to the closure period beginning at 12:00 p.m. on Tuesday, February 19, 2013.
Exempt employees are expected to fulfill their job responsibilities and are not required to report exception time for closures.
We would like to encourage individuals to go out on Banweb and sign up to receive their W-2 Form electronically, if you haven’t already done so. To sign up to receiving your W-2 electronically:
- No paper check to lose or damage
- No making a trip to the bank or ATM
- The money is scheduled to be in the employee’s bank account on pay day (usually by 8:00 a.m.)
- Employee can split the pay among more than one bank account, if employee chooses
- Electronic pay check stub
To set up your Direct Deposit allocation, log in to Banweb:
- Select “Employees” from the top navigation bar.
- Select the menu item called “Pay Information”.
- Select “Direct Deposit Allocatio”n.
- Select “Update Direct Deposit Allocation” from the bottom of the page.
- Enter the new information and click the Save button.
If you are receiving a monthly allowance through payroll for home internet service or business cell phone use, a new allowance form must be completed for calendar year 2013 and submitted to Payroll Services by Friday, November 30th. A copy of a current detailed bill must be attached to the form and all three signature lines on the form must be completed.
The current allowance you are receiving for this calendar year is set to expire in December 2012.
The home Internet allowance policy can be found at http://www.admin.mtu.edu/admin/policy/bus_fin/2008.htm
The cell phone allowance policy can be found at http://www.admin.mtu.edu/admin/policy/bus_fin/2009.htm
The allowance request form can be found at http://www.admin.mtu.edu/acct/pdf/Cell_Internet_Form.pdf