The National Science Foundation (NSF) has released a new Proposal and Award Policies and Procedures Guide that will be in effect for proposals submitted or due on or after January 14, 2013. This new document contains NSF’s Grant Proposal Guide, which governs all NSF proposal submissions. Note that these new guidelines impact all proposals due January 14, 2013 or later even if the proposal is submitted early.
In particular, investigators should note:
- The Project Summary must now contain three separate sections: an overview, a discussion of the project’s intellectual merit, and a discussion of the project’s broader impacts. Except in limited circumstances when special characters must be used, the project summary must now be entered directly into three separate text boxes in Fastlane (NSF’s online submission system), rather than uploaded as a document. Character and line limits apply (see FAQs above).
- The Project Description must now contain a separate section to address the broader impacts of the proposed activities.
- The Project Description must still include a section called “Results From Prior NSF Support.” In addition to the current requirements for this section, investigators must now include separate subsections outlining the Intellectual Merit and Broader Impacts of the prior activities. Results for projects previously funded by NSF must be described whether or not salary support was provided and whether or not the prior work is related to the current proposal.
- The format of the required two-page NSF Biosketch has changed. The “Publications” section must now be titled “Products,” and may include publications, data sets, software, patents, and copyrights.
- There will be a new format for the Facilities, Equipment, and Other Resources section. The section should now include statements about both internal and external physical and personnel resources available to the project. If no information is provided, a statement to that effect should be uploaded in its place.
- The References Cited section will now be required. If no references are cited, a statement to that effect should be uploaded to this section.
- In the Budget section in Fastlane, any personnel listed with no NSF salary request must be removed from the budget prior to submission.
For more information, contact the Sponsored Programs Office at 487-2226.