Dave Hand Receives Outstanding Faculty Award

Hand

David Hand was the recipient of the Fraternity & Sorority Life 2017 Award for Outstanding Contributions as a Faculty Member at Michigan Tech present on Sunday, April 9, 2017.  In her nomination, Ashley Baldes writes:

Dr. Hand is deserving of this award because he shows more dedication to his department and students than I thought possible.  I have had the opportunity to have Dr. Hand as a professor in an intro to environmental engineering class and my senior lab, an advisor for Concrete Canoe, and just someone to say hi to when I’m walking through DOW and I see his office door open.  As a student, Dr. Hand has shown me what it means to be a good engineer, how great it is to learn, and where that knowledge can take you.   When I was a freshman, I took my intro to environmental engineering class with Dr. Hand and he really helped me succeed in college by having professionals talk to us about life in the real world.  Now 5 years later, Dr. Hand is still helping us by teaching our senior lab and offering endless chances to meet with him for questions.  He has an open line of communication between student and professor and that  makes the class content an learning so much more enjoyable.  Outside of the classroom, Dr. Hand is just as helpful.  He traveled to Traverse City with a group of alumni to show Michigan Tech pride in the Cherry Festival parade and he is always willing to stop and talk.  I always feel like I can stop in, say hi, and come out 10 minutes later with a lifetime of knowledge.  When I think of my professors here at Michigan Tech, I think of Dr. Hand as he has had such a strong impact on my learning and career choices.  Because of that, I believe he is an outstanding faculty member.

Congratulations to Dr. Hand!

Hand Certificate of Appreciation