Author: Dr. Morrison

By what date must I register for my courses?

The last day to register for a course is the last day of week 1 of the term (Friday, 5pm).  Courses do fill, however, so it is advisable to register well before that.  In Chemical Engineering, the main technical courses do not fill, meaning, we will keep adding seats to accommodate all students who wish to take the courses.  Lab sections do fill, however, and you may not get your first choice of lab section if you wait until the last minute to register.

Outside of the Chemical Engineering program, courses do sometimes fill up, and again, lab sections fill.  If you find that you need a section that is full, please contact the Departmental coordinator for the department offering the course.  This person  may be able to get you into the course or may put you on a waiting list.  The coordinators have a good idea of whether a new section will be added or whether one more person can be squeezed into the course.

For first and second year General Education courses, there are hard limits on the numbers of seats offered, but there are often good substitute courses you can take to keep making progress in your degree.  If UN1015 Composition is full, for example, take UN1025 Global Issues.

A class that I planned to take has a time conflict with another class; can I take them both?

It is not a good idea to take classes that you know you cannot attend portions of.  There are circumstances, however, when this is a reasonable thing to do, such as when two classes conflict but do not meet for all of their scheduled time periods.

To allow for this, you may register for two classes with overlapping times under the following conditions:

  1. You obtain the Time Conflict Permission Form
  2. Fill out the form with the course names and CRN numbers (from BanWeb)
  3. You obtain the signatures of the instructors of both courses.  It is not sufficient to obtain the signature of the instructor who says you may skip his/her lectures–Both signatures are required.
  4. Turn in the completed form to the Registrar’s office.  If you wish to register for the course during your registration time slot, you must submit this form well before your expected registration time.

Continuous Enrollment Rules on BS/MS

The Dean of the Graduate School, Jackie Huntoon, sent an email updating the continuous enrollment rule as it applies to the BS/MS program.

Students must be continuously enrolled. The idea behind these is that students begin the MS immediately after completion of the BS. The way these programs are all set up is that as soon as students complete the BS they are considered to be enrolled in the MS and they therefore must adhere to the graduate level continuously enrollment policy – like all other graduate students. If they don’t remain continuously enrolled they will be dropped from the program and have to reapply – and if they reapply they can’t be in the “accelerated program” since the Senate policy requires that students apply prior to graduation with the BS. This could have financial implications for students (loss of ability to double count credits) so it is important that they understand this. Kristi Isaacson ( is the point person for the accelerated master’s programs so if you have a question – feel free to contact her.

(by email 20Feb2014)

Where can I get help at Michigan Tech?

There are many support services for students at Michigan Tech, and the best place to look for the kind of help you need is the Student Support Services page of the Michigan Tech Student Handbook.  There are links there for Counseling and Wellness Services, Career Services, Disability Services, and many more types of student services.

For help with academic subjects, please see our FAQ page on Where can I get help with my course work?.

Where can I get help with my course work?

Michigan Tech has in place many resources to offer if you find you need help with the challenging chemical engineering curriculum.  Resources include:

In addition, there are some web-based resources that may be helpful with chemical engineering subjects:

  • Khan Academy – This website has a large number of short videos that can help with math, statistics, chemistry, physics and other subjects.
  • DrMorrisonMTU – Michigan Tech’s own Dr. Morrison has a YouTube channel with short videos on mass and energy balance problems as well as fluid mechanics problems.  Email her with suggestions for new videos for the site.
  • LearnChemE – The University of Colorado at Boulder with support of the National Science Foundation has created a large website of screencast lectures on chemical engineering topics.  If you find some favorite videos on this site, please let us know and we’ll share them with your classmates.

What are the general education (Gen Ed; HASS) requirements for the chem eng degree?

The General Education requirements for all degrees at Michigan Tech are the same, and they are most accurately explained on the Registrar’s General Education web page.  Please go there or attend an advising meeting to have the details of the General Education requirements explained.  We recently made a video guiding you through the General Education process for Chemical Engineers.  The ECE deparment’s advisor Judy Donahue also has a General Education video on YouTube you may find helpful (she shows a bit how Gen Ed looks on DARS (Degree Audit Reporting System, in Banweb)).

There a few aspects of Gen Ed that you should keep in mind:

1.  The rules can and do change; you must follow the rules that apply to you.  Your rules are the ones that are associated with your catalog year, that is, the year you started at Michigan Tech.  Your catalog year is listed on your Banner DARS page.

2.  Not all Humanities, Arts, and Social Sciences courses count as HASS electives.  You must choose your HASS electives from the supplied lists and follow the prescriptions associated with the list.

3.  Not all physical education classes count as co-curriculars.

4.  Six credits of your HASS credits must be at the upper division level (3000+).

4.  Failure to follow the General Education rules will prevent you from being awarded your degree.  Please think ahead and choose your courses to comply with the University’s Gen Ed requirements.