- Find a faculty supervisor. Approach a faculty member who is doing research that interests you and request to work with them. Together you will settle on the research project details. See the research brochure for a list of items you’ll need from your faculty supervisor.
- Submit the enrollment request form. Go to the Department’s undergraduate research webpage to complete the enrollment request form.
- Complete the university’s lab safety training. Watch your email for a link to the lab safety training.
- Register for the class on Banweb. Once you’ve completed the safety training, you will be given permission to enroll in the class.
Beginning Fall 2021, the following changes will be made to our technical elective rules:
- The organic chemistry II or substitute requirement will be changed to any technical elective from the list.
- Pchem lab will no longer be required and will be changed to any technical elective from the list. Pchem lecture will still be required.
- The core engineering elective requirement will be changed to any technical elective from the list.
Under these new rules there will be one technical list and you will need to take a total of 18 credits from the list. Pchem lab will be on the technical elective list. The reason for this change was to make the elective rules easier to understand and to give you greater flexibility in pursing your interests. This will also help you be able more easily earn a minor in a math, science, or engineering area, if you desire.
Students who started at Michigan Tech before Fall 2021 will have the option to move to these new rules. Students who start in Fall 2021 or later will be required to follow the new rules.