The Lake Superior Celebration is from 6 to 8 p.m. Tuesday, April 26 at the Great Lakes Research Center.
This event is to celebrate the work of the following 17 Lake Superior Stewardship Initiative (LSSI) school -community teams. Many Michigan Tech departments and faculty serve as LSSI community partners and/or advisors.
- Washington Elementary (Bessemer)
- LL Wright High School (Ironwood)
- EB Holman K-8 School (Stanton Township)
- Lake Linden Hubbell Middle/High School
- Jeffers High School (Adams Township)
- L’Anse Middle School
- Baraga Middle/High School
- Houghton Middle School and High School
- Hancock Middle School and Barkell Elementary
- CLK Elementary and Washington Middle School (Public Schools of Calumet-Laurium-Keweenaw)
- Chassell Elementary and High School
- Dollar Bay Tamarack City Elementary and High School
Hands-on Recycling Activities led by Michigan Tech students:
- Ride the HEET bike & lift the bridge!
- Garbage Pizza
- No-Waste Lunch
- SMOG City, water quality testing, designing pumps
- World Water Day art display
- Copper Country Recycling Initiative
- Plastic Recycling Enterprise
- Alternative Energy Enterprise
- Engineers Without Borders
- UP Food Exchange
- LSSI student showcase and presentations
- North Woods Kids (K-12) from the Western U.P. art exhibit
- Cake, lemonade, and refreshments
- Live music
Sponsored by the Western U.P. Center for Science, Mathematics and Environmental Education, Michigan Tech Center for Science and Environmental Outreach, Michigan Tech Center for Water and Society, Copper Country Recycling Initiative and Funded in part with a grant from the Great Lakes Stewardship Initiative.and Michigan STEM Partnership.
Find out more here.