Welcome Back Commuters!

Hello Commuters!

Welcome back to all of our returning commuter students, welcome to campus for our first year commuters and welcome to my first blog post as your commuter assistant! My name is Jamie Sertich, and like all of you, I am also a commuter. I graduated from Dollar Bay High School in 2015. I am now a 4th year Accounting major. I can’t wait to meet a lot of you within the next year and a half!

This week, there is a very important event going on that’ll help you find your place on campus. That’s K-Day! For those of you that don’t know what this is, it is a yearly event where a majority of the student organizations reserve a booth and have more information on their organizations. There will be games, candy and goodies at the tables, and also free food. So make sure to stop on by and get some lunch and meet some of our amazing organizations on campus! This year K-Day will be at Chassell Centennial Park!

Another cool event, that will be taking place on Thursday, September 6, is 906 Night featuring Bob Hiltunen. Since many of you are locals, you may have heard of Bob as he is a local musician (from my hometown of Dollar Bay) and is also known for giving guitar lessons at Good Times Music. Bob will be playing Live Music in the MUB Ballroom on Thursday at 9:06pm. So come on out and show your support for Bob while taking a break from your hectic first week!

A great thing about Michigan Tech is that we have so many creative events going on that most people from other universities don’t really hear about. Did you spend your childhood playing Rock Paper Scissors with your classmates? If you think you are a master Rock Paper Scissors competitor, then head on over to MUB Ballroom B on Saturday, September 8 from 7-8 p.m. and put your skills to the test! You can win some awesome prizes at this event!

Enjoy your first week of classes and make sure to take a study break and check out some of these fun events!

Good luck this semester!

-Jamie