Welcome back!

Hello Commuters and welcome back to another edition of…

The Commute

Also, welcome back for another semester! I hope your break went well and you got a much needed rest that you deserve. But, now it’s time to get back in the grind.

Just a reminder that if you need any assistance for all things commuting, or even just a general question about Michigan Tech, I am here for any questions through the commuters email (commuters@mtu.edu), or during office hours which can be found at: https://www.mtu.edu/success/academic/mentoring/commuter/ ; I currently will not be in the office for my office hours, so if you would like to meet with me during those times, please send me an email and we can set up an appointment!

For my blogs this semester, I will be sticking with the usual format (a few events that I think you will enjoy), but every other week I will also have a new section where I will talk about one student organization that I think is a big part of Michigan Tech. There are so many awesome student organizations on campus, so I think by giving you a little information on them it will help spark some interest and help you become more involved on campus.

This week at the SDC, there will be HuskiesFit Dollar Days. For those of you that do not know what that is, it is where they have spring fitness classes for only $2! There are many different classes to try out this week (Zumba, POUND, etc.), so I would highly encourage going and starting off the new semester (and the new year) on the right foot. For 6am classes, you can pay at the door, but for other classes you can get a ticket from the ticket office downstairs.

This week, our basketball Huskies are back at the Wood Gym for a doubleheader on Thursday and Saturday. The women play at 5:30 p.m. on Thursday against Grand Valley State, and the men follow at 7:30 p.m. On Saturday, the women’s game tips off at 1:00 p.m. against Davenport with the men’s game following at 3:00 p.m.

Finally, as I said above, I will be having a spotlight section for a student organization every other week. This week, the organization is actually having an information session, so it would be perfect timing if you are interested in this organization. This organization is The Michigan Tech Engineering Ambassadors. This student organization has the goal of spreading knowledge and hands on experiences with engineering to middle and high school students and help spark interest for the field. This organization can also help you grow your communication skills since they do a lot of presentations and activities with younger children. This information session will be held on Thursday, January 17th from 6:00-7:00 p.m. in Fisher 129. You can also contact the advisor Jaclyn Johnson at jenesbit@mtu.edu if you are interested in being added to the email list or if you have any questions!

I hope you all have a great first week back!

Stay tuned next week for another edition of…

The Commute