Upcoming Events & Programs
- 2018 Western UP Science Fair Results and Photos! click HERE!
- Registration for our Summer Science Camps is now Open!! for more information click Here. To pay for any of our summer science camps click here for our online storefront.
- Great Lakes Investigations Aboard Michigan Tech’s Research Vessel Agassiz June – August, 2018 For Students in Grades 4-12 ~ Fun! FREE! Educational! Ride the Waves with GM invites Grades 4-12 classes to join scientists from Michigan Tech’s Great Lakes Research Center in the exploration of Lake Superior, Portage Waterway and Torch Lake. There are 4 programs to choose from— each ~4 hours in length—that will accommodate up to 18 students/teachers. Reserve your spot now For more information on available trips click here.
- July – September 2018 Summer STEM Internships for Under-represented High School Students at MTU
- July 26 – 29 Design a Sustainable Future Summer Teacher Institute for Gr. 4-12 Teachers Participants will: Investigate product life cycle, building design, renewable energy sources, low impact site design, water reuse, smart transportation and food systems with cutting-edge research scientists and engineers at Michigan Technological University and community/teacher experts. Engage in hands-on engineering lessons. Obtain resources for teaching about sustainability while addressing the new Michigan Science Standards. Be able to share STEM sustainability career options with your students. Feel hopeful! Connect sustainability to the Next Generation Science Standards and Social Studies Standards. Spend an exciting week in the Keweenaw Peninsula enjoying the Great Outdoors!
- June 13th Tips & Tools for Creating and Using Outdoor Classrooms Explore ways that teachers can unlock the powerful learning experiences that exist just beyond the classroom door! Examples from area nature playscapes, school gardens, interpretive areas and more will be showcased.
- Jan – June 2018 Creating Great Lakes Stewards to Promote Clean Water & Healthy Urban Watersheds in Detroit
The MTU Center for Science & Environmental Outreach at Michigan Tech has received a $91,000 grant from the EPA for a two year project titled “Creating Great Lakes Stewards to Promote Clean Drinking Water & Healthy Urban Watersheds in Detroit” to build student and teacher capacity to steward the urban water resources of Detroit now and in the future. The project will engage 32 teachers at 16 schools, reaching 960 middle school students over 2 years. For more information
- Now Hiring After School K-8 Instructors Application
- Green Film Series: Issues and Dialogue 3rd Thursdays each month, January – May 2018 (except for Friday, March 23)
- Archive Green Films 2011-2016 are now available for a 2-week checkout for Classroom, Meeting or Home Viewing. To borrow films, contact: Joan Chadde (487-3341 or email@example.com at the 115 Great Lakes Research Center at Michigan Tech
- Oct. 5-7 ~ Michigan Alliance for Environmental & Outdoor Education Annual Conference in Port Huron
- Oct. 10-13 ~ North American Association for Environmental Education in Spokane, WA