What is the deadline for submitting applications?

There is no formal deadline for submitting applications for admission to the graduate programs in Electrical & Computer Engineering. Applications are processed as they are received. However, keep in mind that most of the GTA / GRA offer decisions are made in March and April for the upcoming Fall semester admissions. Therefore, applications should be submitted by February 15 if you want to be considered for the first round of GTA / GRA offers.

Who will be my advisor and who selects my research topic?

Students choose their own advisor. It is expected that you will identify an advisor during or before your second semester on campus. You are encouraged, however, to initiate conversations with faculty in ECE department to help define your research interests, identify potential funding sources, and determine courses that might best support your interests.

Students also choose their own research topic. The Department does have four major research thrusts in Signals and Systems, Computer Engineering, Electro-physics, and Power and Energy.

What courses do I take my first semester?

Your first semester schedule should be determined in consultation with your advisor. If you do not have an advisor, you may choose courses by consulting the graduate course catalog in your area of interest. Note that you should choose courses which will apply for the degree you are seeking by consulting the Graduate Student Advising page for details of degree course requirements. For example, if you are planning on an MS Plan D, then taking an EE course at the 3000-level would not count towards your degree. A typical schedule has one or more graduate or senior level courses in the interest area of the student, the seminar course in the appropriate area of interest (if you are taking the MS Plan A, for example), and an out-of-department math or computer science course.


You may register online on banweb.mtu.edu or register at the Registrar’s Office, Administration Building, Room 110. Payment can be made online or at the Cashier’s Office, Administration Building. It is your responsibility to ensure continued enrollment.