Category: Advising

Academic Suspension

A student that is on probation two semesters in a row is automatically suspended from the university (see The student is able to appeal the suspension by submitting a petition on-line at by clicking on the link “Petition to Appeal Academic Suspension/Dismissal.” When filling out this form, it is best to prepare answers in a word processor that will allow a spell check. Proof read the responses before copying and pasting them into the on-line form. For a first notice of academic suspension, when the appeal is not granted, the student is not allowed to attend Michigan Tech for at least one semester plus a summer. It is recommended that the student spend this time productively, for example by gaining employment and/or taking classes at another institution.

How to Choose a Career/Major?

There are many factors that go into choosing a career/major. Here are some steps to help:

  • Complete MyPlan on the Career Services web page (see details below).
  • Meet with Career Services to review MyPlan results.
  • Talk with engineers (parents, friends, home/local companies, etc.).
  • Talk to prospective department advisor.

Engineering Advisors Contact Information

  • Biomedical Engineering: Mr. Michael LaBeau,
  • Chemical: Ms. Katie Torrey and Mr. David Zei, both use 202M ChemSci, 487-4327 or Dr. Faith Morrison, 304B ChemSci, 487-2050, for all use
  • Civil and Environmental: Ms. Julie Ross, 103 Dillman,, 487-3410
  • Computer and Electrical: Ms. Judy Donahue, 131 EERC,, 487-2232
  • General/Undecided Engineering and BS in Engineering: Ms. Amy Monte and Dr. AJ Hamlin, 112C Dillman,, 487-3057
  • Geological: Dr. John Gierke, 405 DOW,, 487-2535
  • Materials: Ms. Ruth Kramer, U101 M&M,, 487-3375
  • Mechanical: Ms. Danise Jarvey, 205A MEEM, or Mr. Ryan Towles, 204 MEEM,, for both use 487-2564

MyPlan, Career Planning Services

MyPlan,, can help you in selecting a career. It has four parts: Myer-Briggs personality test, a skills test, an interests’ inventory and a values’ test. It takes approximately an hour to complete all four parts of the test. The results show areas of aptitude. In order to review the results with someone at the Career Center students need to give the Career Center access to their results before beginning the test. Then, students need to make an appointment with a professional in the Career Services office (906-487-2313).

Minors and Certificates

Many students find courses outside their major that are of great interest to them. One way to receive formal recognition for taking such extra courses is by meeting the requirements for a minor or a certificate. Each option has a set of rules for meeting those requirements.

The purpose of a minor is to officially recognize a student who takes a prescribed set of courses in a discipline outside their major. To earn a minor, a student must meet the following requirements:

  • Minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 in minor courses.
  • Minimum of six credits must be 3000-level or higher and not used for degree (other than as free electives).
  • Minimum of six credits of the 3000 level or higher minor-required courses at Michigan Tech.
  • May not be completed after receiving a bachelor’s degree.
  • May not be earned with the same title as the student’s major or major concentration for the student’s bachelor’s degree.

A certificate is a body of courses that provides students with knowledge of a disciplinary or interdisciplinary subfield. Departments can offer certificates to both degree seeking and non-degree seeking students. To earn a certificate, a student must meet the following requirements:

  • Minimum of a “C” grade in each certificate course (higher in some departments).
  • Certificates require one-half of the total credits must be 3000-level or higher (certificates range from 12-25 credits).
  • Certificate requirements may be completed during or after completing a bachelor’s degree.

An audit must be completed and approved by the department offering the minor or certificate. An advisor list is available at: For details on specific minors and/or certificates, visit:

Planning Your College Career

Having a graduation plan can help you accomplish your goals while at college. This is a semester-by-semester layout of your classes from now until graduation. An effective graduation plan details planned courses for each semester and takes into consideration plans for co-op and/or studying abroad as well as plans for an optimal course load. As you develop your plan, think about the following:

  • Pre-requisites/co-requisites
  • The semester(s) that courses are offered
  • Credits/course load with which you are comfortable
  • Co-op opportunities
  • Study abroad programs
  • Minors or certifications that compliment your major
  • Summer classes
  • Electives (i.e., technical, HASS, free) you plan to take
  • Volunteer and extra-curricular activities

Your graduation plan will help ensure that you are taking what you need to graduate – without last minute surprises. Your plan should be flexible and should be reviewed/updated each semester. Once you have established your plan, you may want to meet with your advisor to go over any questions. To start your own graduation plan, download the spreadsheet found at the Graduation Plan link on:


Fall registration will open March 18th, 10:00 pm through April 4, midnight. If you have questions regarding what classes to take, you should make an appointment to meet with your academic advisor.

Registration typically opens each night at 10:00 pm. Due to the large number of sophomores and juniors, there will be two start times on Wednesday, March 24th and Friday, March 26th at 10:00 pm and 11:00 pm. To find out what day and time you register go to:

  • Priority is based on the number of credits earned at the time of registration. This does not include the number of credits the student is currently taking.
  • Students may register anytime on or after their scheduled day.
  • The web will be unavailable for registration from 2:00–2:30 am each day.
  • Registration closes at midnight Sunday, April 4th.
  • Forms are available on-line.
    • Grading Option/Credit Change: to take a course as an audit or pass-fail or for variable credit courses.
    • Overload Permission: to take over 18 credits.
    • Special Approval/Restriction Waiver: to wave major, level (undergraduate or graduate), class restriction (Freshman, Sophomore, etc.), pre- or co-requisites, or for special approval.
    • Time/Exam Conflict Permission: to take two courses that have a time conflict.
  • Students with questions or problems should contact the Registrar’s Office at 487-2319 or