Category: FAQs

Michigan Tech language and acronyms

As with every type of organization, Michigan Technological University (also known as “Tech,” “MTU,” and “Michigan Tech”) has a unique language and associated acronyms. The following are some definitions to help you learn Michigan Tech’s unique language.

  • Admin: Administration Building
  • audit: Taking a course without credit or grade
  • by ARR or by arrangement: Student is able to set the time of the class or appointment
  • co-curricular: A physical activity course, such as skiing or swimming
  • co-op: Professional activity supervised by an experienced professional in a job that places a high degree of responsibility on the student
  • co-req or Co-requisite: A course that MUST be taken in combination with the given course
  • CRN: Course Registration Number
  • degree audit: Form to fill out that lists all the classes to complete a given degree
  • DHH: Douglass Houghton Hall, the smallest residence hall
  • diff EQ: Differential equations course
  • EERC (pronounced “erk”or “E-E-R-C”): Electrical Energy Resources Center
  • Fish Bowl: Glass-enclosed area in the R.L. Smith Mechanical Engineering-Engineering Mechanics Building that houses student computer labs.
  • Gates: The tennis center located near the SDC
  • GPA: Grade Point Average
  • GRE: Graduate Record Examination taken as a senior for acceptance to graduate school
  • HASS (pronounced “hass”): Humanities, Arts, and Social Sciences courses that count toward General Education requirements
  • Heights: Daniell Heights Apartments
  • internship: Summer job within engineering or another given field
  • late drop: Dropping a course after the drop date because of extenuating circumstances
  • McNair: Residence hall on the east end of campus
  • ME-EM (pronounced “meem” or “M-E-E-M”): R.L. Smith Mechanical Engineering–Engineering Mechanics Building
  • MUB: The Memorial Union Building
  • pass/fail: A grading option for assessing student performance in a course. Taking a course where the grade is not calculated into the GPA and credits may only be counted toward free elective credits in the degree requirements
  • PE or Professional Engineer: Licensed engineer that can offer his/her services to the public
  • pre-req or prerequisite: A course that MUST be taken prior to taking the given course
  • pre-req (C) or concurrent prerequisite: A prerequisite course that MAY be taken during the same semester (concurrently) as the course for which it is a prerequisite
  • SDC: Student Development Complex; athletic and recreational facility for use by all students
  • special topics course: A class format that allows for special title and focus, which may be different from section to section and from semester to semester
  • TBD or To Be Determined: Time offer of a class that will be scheduled around all registered students’
  • Union: Memorial Union Building
  • USG: Undergraduate Student Government
  • Wads: Wadsworth Hall, the largest residence hall
  • Walker: The Walker Arts and Humanities Center

Continue Reading

Taking Summer Classes

Taking classes during the summer can help lighten a student’s course load or help the student get back on track. Students may take classes at Michigan Tech or on-line during the summer or at another institution. See the links below for more information:

Before taking a class at another college or university, you should check with the Michigan Tech Transfer Office to be sure that it will transfer as the course you need.

Continue Reading

How to Choose a Career/Major?

There are many factors that go into choosing a career/major. Here are some steps to help:

  • Complete MyPlan on the Career Services web page (see details below).
  • Meet with Career Services to review MyPlan results.
  • Talk with engineers (parents, friends, home/local companies, etc.).
  • Talk to prospective department advisor.

Engineering Advisors Contact Information

  • Biomedical Engineering: Mr. Michael LaBeau,
  • Chemical: Ms. Katie Torrey and Mr. David Zei, both use 202M ChemSci, 487-4327 or Dr. Faith Morrison, 304B ChemSci, 487-2050, for all use
  • Civil and Environmental: Ms. Julie Ross, 103 Dillman,, 487-3410
  • Computer and Electrical: Ms. Judy Donahue, 131 EERC,, 487-2232
  • General/Undecided Engineering and BS in Engineering: Ms. Amy Monte and Dr. AJ Hamlin, 112C Dillman,, 487-3057
  • Geological: Dr. John Gierke, 405 DOW,, 487-2535
  • Materials: Ms. Ruth Kramer, U101 M&M,, 487-3375
  • Mechanical: Ms. Danise Jarvey, 205A MEEM, or Mr. Ryan Towles, 204 MEEM,, for both use 487-2564

MyPlan, Career Planning Services

MyPlan,, can help you in selecting a career. It has four parts: Myer-Briggs personality test, a skills test, an interests’ inventory and a values’ test. It takes approximately an hour to complete all four parts of the test. The results show areas of aptitude. In order to review the results with someone at the Career Center students need to give the Career Center access to their results before beginning the test. Then, students need to make an appointment with a professional in the Career Services office (906-487-2313).

Continue Reading