By Rick Koubek, President
In spite of the new realities imposed by COVID-19, the MTU Flex team is working hard to assure the Michigan Tech experience is excellent for our students, faculty and staff this fall. There will be new expectations of our entire campus community, requiring extra effort from everyone. There will also be a need to maintain flexibility as circumstances change. But, I am confident that by working together, we can provide a healthy and safe campus environment along with an excellent academic experience. Below are a few of the changes you will see on campus this fall.
- The fall semester starts Thursday, August 27, two days earlier than last year, and includes a two-day fall break
- Faculty will be asked to accommodate the remote instructional needs of students who are sick, self-isolating because of COVID-19, or who are at higher risk for serious illness
- Students will be spaced at least six feet apart in classrooms
- Orientation will be a blended experience with remote presentations and small group meetings
- No more than two people will share a residence hall room
- Residence hall move-in will be by appointment over an extended two-day period
- Grab-and-go food items will be offered in residential dining and seating will be limited to allow for social distancing
- K-day will take place as scheduled in a virtual format, with smaller in-person meetings throughout the afternoon.
Health and Safety
- Everyone will be asked to self-monitor for COVID-19 symptoms and wear face coverings. Faculty will be allowed to wear a face shield while instructing, as will others who are unable to tolerate a cloth mask.
- Accommodations will be provided for employees identified by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) as being at higher risk of severe illness from COVID-19, as requested. Accommodations will also be made for employees living in the same household with someone who is at higher risk.
- We will all need to practice good hygiene and stay home when we are sick, or after exposure to COVID-19
On Monday (June 15), we will transition to Step Two of Michigan Tech’s Return to Campus Plan. This milestone represents a healthy progression toward our goal of fully reopening for campus-based instruction this fall. Expect an email with more details regarding Step Two later today.
Thanks again for your support and patience as we gradually reopen our campus. As our plans continue to crystallize, I will keep you informed.