by Rick Koubek, President
Dear Members of the Michigan Tech Community, Welcome back!
Throughout the summer, the faculty and staff at Michigan Tech have worked hard to implement many of the known measures that slow the spread of COVID-19. Because of your efforts, we are able to welcome students to campus next week. Some of these include:
- Transitioning courses to hybrid and remote formats;
- Standing up an onsite COVID-19 testing facility;
- Developing the Daily Symptom Monitoring Form;
- Enhancing our cleaning and sanitization standards;
- Creating a robust symptomatic and asymptomatic testing program for our campus community;
- Launching a contact tracing program;
- Instituting a wastewater testing program to pinpoint local COVID-19 outbreaks;
- Designing and manufacturing custom face shields for our instructors;
- Securing isolation space for confirmed cases;
- Modifying academic policies;
- Implementing a robust communications plan; and lastly,
- Asking students to take the Be Smart. Do Your Part. pledge.
Michigan Tech is fortunate to have these assets available. But, at no time will we put our faculty, staff, and students in a compromising position with unacceptable risk. Daily campus operations will flex as a condition of the number of confirmed cases and other risk factors present on campus and in the area. This is to ensure that we can maximize the Michigan Tech experience while also protecting the safety of our students, staff, and faculty.
To provide a closer look at the innovations helping to make this semester possible on campus, two teams have produced short videos, below. I encourage you to take a look.
Also, our University Senate president and student government presidents have recorded short welcome videos to kick off the semester.
- A Message from the University Senate President
- USG President’s Welcome Back
- GSG President’s Welcome Back
Please know how much the campus community appreciates all of your efforts. Because of our preparations, I am confident our students will have the best MTU experience possible given the circumstances.