Students typically choose an advisor during their first or second semester on campus, after they have had time on campus and the opportunity to meet and discuss research with various faculty.
About half of the students who apply are accepted to the program, but only a small number of these students are offered financial support.
Your application to the Graduate School is also your application for department funding. For fall applicants, the graduate committee meets in late March to determine who will be offered support. Letters will then be mailed to those chosen.
Students admitted to our programs typically have an undergraduate GPA of 3.3 or above. While in the graduate program, it is required to maintain a GPA of 3.0 or better.
There is not an application deadline. However, to be given full consideration, we should receive your completed application packet prior to February 1st if you are applying for fall semester admission.
In addition to the Graduate School’s minimum requirements (http://www.mtu.edu/gradschool/admissions/apply/) our department also requires GRE scores and three letters of recommendation.
- What materials are required when applying?
- What is the minimum GRE score requirement?
- What is the application deadline?
- What is the average GPA of students you admit to the program?
- How do I apply for a research or teaching assistantship?
- What percentages of students who apply are admitted?
- How and when do I choose an advisor?