Day: January 17, 2020

Residence Hall Contract Renewal

Residence Hall contract renewal is available now for current Michigan Tech students.  Convenient online contract renewal is available January 13 through January 23.  To renew a residence hall contract online, log in to your MyMichiganTech account and select your Housing tab.  You can then sign up for contract renewal using the link on the left side of the page. (It is best to use Internet Explorer or FireFox to fill out the application).

If you miss online residence hall contract renewal, you can still come in person to renew a contract at Housing Services up until Friday, February 28 at 5pm.  After that deadline, current students, returning students, transfer students, and graduate students who wish to live in the residence halls will be placed on a waiting list.

More details are online:

A contract for housing (on or off campus) is legally binding.  Please consider all of your options before you sign any contract. If you want to discuss your options, please visit us in Housing Services at 153 Wadsworth Hall, call 906-487-2682, or email for assistance.

Daniell Heights Contract Renewal

Current contract holders in Daniell Heights can go online to renew their housing contracts. Contract renewal is on the MyMichiganTech account on the Housing tab. Select Contract Renewal. Online contract renewal is available Feb 3, 2020 at 9am until Feb 10, 2020 11:59pm. 

If you take no action, your current Daniell Heights contract will end on June 30, 2020 at noon. If you renew your contract, your contract will end on June 30, 2021 at noon. 

If you wish to transfer apartments, there is a $300 transfer fee. You should renew your current contract, and then make a follow up appointment in Housing Services to select a new apartment. Appointments can be scheduled online as part of the contract renewal process in your MyMichiganTech account. Available transfer apartments will depend on which contract holders choose to not renew for another year and cannot be determined in advance. Transfers will occur in the month of July.

Questions? Please visit Housing Services, 153 Wadsworth Hall, email or call 906-487-2682.

Need a repair?

Drafty window?  Sticky lock?  Drippy faucet?  Burned out light bulb?  If you live on campus and you need a repair, please complete the online “repair request” form.  All requests go to Facilities.  When you complete the online repair request form, you will get updates on the status of your request directly from Facilities.  Normal repairs are completed Monday through Friday during normal business hours.

If you have an urgent problem that cannot wait (NO heat, NO electricity, NO water, water that is flowing and will not stop), please call the Facilities Emergency phone number: 906-487-0001.  Requests for emergency assistance that are not emergencies or due to student negligence may be charged $150 convenience fee for after hours non-emergency assistance.