The email below was sent to all residence hall students on March 18, 2020.
Dear Resident Student,
Earlier today, you received an email from Dean Gorman announcing Michigan Tech is offering all students living in the residence halls (including the ICE House) the option of receiving a credit of $1,100 if they check out of their room by 5 p.m. on April 12, 2020.
Regardless of whether you take the credit and leave campus, we would like to know your plans for the remainder of the semester. We are asking ALL residence hall students to complete THIS FORM (https://forms.gle/q1A6nQHKPc2aky2A7) by Friday, March 27, 2020, at 5 p.m.
If you are planning to leave, please follow the steps below.
Departing Students Checkout Procedures
1) Complete the Residence Hall Spring 2020 Departure Plan form online: https://forms.gle/q1A6nQHKPc2aky2A7
2) Contact your RA and let them know you would like to check out. You should receive the Express Checkout form and blue Key Return envelope from your RA, but the Front Desk will also have these available.
3) Arrive on the date/time you selected on your departure plan.
4) Remove all belongings from your room.
5) Clean your room thoroughly and return the furniture to its original configuration.
6) Complete the Express Checkout form and fill out the blue Key Return envelope. Attach the form to the envelope and drop both off at the Front Desk. If the desk is closed, place them in the Misaddressed Mail slot at the desk. (Remember to check your mail before turning in your key!)
If you have extenuating circumstances and need assistance, please contact email@example.com .
Please let us know if you have any questions.
Director of Housing Auxiliary Operations and Residence Education
Residence Halls: How to Return Your Key
Ideally, each resident should check out with their RA before they move out. However, we know that some residence hall students moved all of their items out but did not check out or return the key.
If you removed all of your personal property from your residence hall room, but you did not check out with an RA, you can still mail your key back to Housing.
If you will not be returning, please return your key using a stiff cardboard photo mailer envelope (not a padded bubble wrap paper envelope). You will need to tape the key down inside the cardboard photo mailer, such as attaching it to a piece of a cereal box. You don’t want the key to slide around inside the envelope. When keys slide around or if you use a paper envelope and not a cardboard photo mailer, the key will rip out of the envelope on the post office mail sorting machinery. It will not arrive back to Housing, and you would be charged for the lost key and lock change. If you return the key using a stiff cardboard photo mailing envelope, this is the very best method. It is not necessary to use special overnight delivery to return the key.
Residence halls affected include: Wadsworth Hall, McNair Hall, Douglass Houghton Hall, Hillside Place, ICE House, and the Sustainability House.
The address to send the key back to is:
Michigan Tech Housing Services
153 Wadsworth Hall
1400 Townsend Drive
Houghton, MI 49931
Questions? Please contact Residence Education and Housing Services at 153 Wadsworth Hall, or email firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 906-487-2682. We are open for business Monday through Friday, 8am to 5pm.