All posts by evjohnso

I am the Department of Humanities undergraduate adviser. This means that I meet with students regularly for a variety of reasons. For example, I introduce students to their major degree schedule and help them find suitable classes each semester. I also teach classes in both the Department of Humanities and the Cognitive and Learning Sciences Department. Before coming to MTU to complete my Masters Degree in Rhetoric and Technical Communication I taught school in Ohio and worked for the Ohio Writing Project.

I am struggling in a class, what should I do?

You should talk to the professor, and make an appointment with your advisor. For some courses, you can visit the various learning centers on campus to get extra help. The Waino Wahtera Center for Student Success offers Academic Success Coaches and other resources. Academic difficulty is a serious problem, but not an uncommon one. Here are some policies (withdraw dates, refunds, etc.) regarding dropping classes or withdrawing from the university. It’s a good idea to contact your advisor before making changes to your registration.

A class I need is at capacity, what should I do?

Don’t despair–it is often the case that seating fluctuates even after the semester begins. But here are some steps you can take now:

You should register for another class that you want to take (this is your Plan B). If you aren’t sure which course to take, consult with your advisor.

Keep your eye on the seating availability so that if a seat becomes available you can add into that class, and drop the Plan B class.

Finally, if the semester begins and you still have not been able to add the class you really want to take, attend that class and speak to the instructor. It’s possible, though not guaranteed, that you’ll be added into the class.

And, if all of the above fails, take your Plan B class and wait for another opportunity to take the Plan A class!

Can you explain co-ops and internships?

The Humanities department internship program offers opportunities for you to gain work experience and get HU credit at the same time. You can also find opportunities for internships and co-ops at the Career Services website (some that allow you to register for credit, some that are paid work experiences). It’s a good idea to schedule a meeting with your advisor to discuss how a co-op or internship will affect your academic plans.

Can I finish this degree in four years?

In most cases, the answer is yes. Most Humanities degrees require 128 academic credits. You will need to average 16 cr per semester to graduate in four years.  Several factors can affect your time to degree, including adding a minor or certificate, doing an internship, studying abroad, taking summer classes or carrying a heavier load some semesters. Working closely with your academic advisor will help you be efficient in planning your coursework for the degree.

How do I change majors?

Schedule a meeting with the advisor of the new degree, then complete a “change of curriculum”form with the new advisor–he or she needs to sign this. Some Humanities majors require additional material (a writing sample, a minimum GPA, etc.). The advisor will let you know if there are additional steps. It is also a courtesy to contact your former advisor so he or she knows you’ve changed plans.