Giancarlo

Giancarlo Hernandez 201706130004Giancarlo Hernandez, MiCUP Participant

I’m the first person in my family to go to college. I was raised in Los Angeles and moved to Grand Rapids when I was young. My parents are from Zacatecas, Mexico. They always told me I have more opportunities here in America than they had. They want me and my siblings to have a better life than they do. And I want to repay them for their sacrifice. I’m not just doing it for myself, I’m doing it for them, too.

Last summer was my first time in the Upper Peninsula. I came with the Boys and Girls Club. I like the scenery here. Lake Superior. So many places to hike. Mountain biking. I like staying active.

My major is exercise science, with a minor in nutrition and possibly education. When I came to Michigan Tech through MiCUP, I was paired up with the Husky Food Access Network, where I help run the campus food pantry. I do inventory and marketing. I helped out at a food pantry before, but Michigan Tech’s program is bigger. I enjoy it a lot.

The biggest change I’ve had in my time here is adjusting to the coursework; it’s more detailed and more intense than at community college. I like my professor, but it’s definitely more challenging than I thought it would be.

I want to be the start of a generation in my family who goes to college.

I want my younger brother to go to college. I want him to do better than me. I want to be the start of a generation in my family who goes to college. This is bigger than me, and that feels good. #mtuhumans