Haji

Abdisalan Haji

Haji Abdisalan, MiCUP Participant

I am an environmental science and sustainability major. The Michigan College and University Partnership (MiCUP) gives community college students a chance to experience what a four-year college is all about. The program started May 8, so I’ve been here a few weeks. Houghton is a lot different than Grand Rapids, but so far I really like it.

I’ll be a junior next semester. I’m looking at transferring to Michigan Tech or to Northern Michigan University—I haven’t decided yet.
Dorm life is good. Everyone is friendly, especially the RAs. Everyone knows everyone.
Our group hiked around Hungarian Falls and a few other places. It’s very beautiful here. If I end up coming to Michigan Tech I would love to experience Winter Carnival. I don’t mind snow; I like the fresh air that comes with it. Maybe I’ll even try broomball.
I don’t mind snow; I like the fresh air that comes with it.
My goal is to get a bachelor’s, and ultimately a master’s. I never thought I would work with professors with PhDs and people with so much experience in their fields. I feel accomplished to be able to say I am here. If you can make it at Michigan Tech, you can go anywhere. There is no limit to what you can accomplish—you just have to believe it. #mtuhumans