Students affected by the 2010-11 CS course changes may need substitutions in your degree audit report. See your advisor if needed.
pdf summary: http://www.ece.mtu.edu/pages/advising/8_Sem_Plans_ECE/VISIO_Flowcharts/CpE_Changes2010_Guide.pdf
CS1121, CS1122 AND CS1131
- CS1121 Intro. to Computer Science I
- no changes
- CS1122 Intro. to Computer Science II
- changes from 2 credits to 3 credits – Material from “old” CS2321 added
- CS1131 – Accelerated Intro. to Programming (CS1121 + CS1122 covered in one semester)
- changes from 4 credits to 5 credits – material added from ‘old’ CS2321
CS1721 AND CS1129
- CS1721 Objected Oriented Design/Programming
- obsolete (after Spring 2010) – material rolled into CS2321
- CS1129 C (taken by EE major who wanted C)
- obsolete – Take CS1141 instead. Pre-req is CS1122.
CS2321, CS2141, AND CS1141
- CS2321 Data Structures
- only the course content changes beginning with Fall 2010 offering. – need to know “trees”
- CS2141 C/C++ Software Development
- 0bsolete (beginning Fall 2010) – Take CS1141 in it’s place (2 credits) – Petition will be needed
- CS1141 – C for java programmers, 2 credits
- this is the new C class
- replaces CS2141
- one additional credit needed, TBD
CS3421, CS4411 AND CS3331
- CS3421 Computer Organization
- Pre-requisite changes to CS1122 (was CS2311)
- CS4411 Operating Systems
- content changes beginning Fall 2011
- last offering of current version Fall 2010
- CpE majors take CS3411 + 1 credit of ‘free elective’ in place of CS4411 on requirements
- Pre-requisite of CS3331 added for Fall 2011
- CS4411 can apply as required course or technical elective.
- CS3331 – Concurrent Programming
- cool CpE technical elective
- pre-requisite for CS4411 after Fall 2010
EE4431/CS4431 AND EE4173
- EE4431/CS4431 Computer Architecture 4 credits
- CS4431 no longer co-listed with EE4431
- Take EE4173 in place of EE4431
- EE4173 Computer Systems Architecture 3 credits
- 3 credits
- take in place of EE4431 for degree requirements
- pre-requisite is EE3173 Hardware/Software Integration
- one credit of ‘free elective’ will be needed
- similar content to EE4431
- Always look up pre-requisites and semester offerings.
- Plan ahead for getting pre-reqs done.
- Check past semester class schedules for a good idea of possible future time conflicts.
You may be missing important topic of trees if:
1) You did not complete CS2321 by Spring 2010
2) You completed CS1122 or CS1131 PRIOR to Spring 2010 and are not taking CS1090 nor CS2321 in Spring 2010. If you are one of these students, see me to enroll in one-credit offering of “Trees” course Spring 2010. There will be an online version for Summer 2010. “Trees” is an important pre-requisite topic needed for the new version of CS2321 beginning Fall 2010.