Also In This Section

Engineering Design Options

BS-EE and BS-CpE Engineering Design requirements may be fulfilled by one of the following options:

1) Senior Design – the Year-long engineering design project team.

EE4901 + EE4910  or   MEEM4901 + MEEM4911 or BE4901 and BE4910.

2) Enterprise:  Join an enterprise and do research and development work for four semesters, beginning with junior year or at that point when you have 4 semesters left on campus:  ENT3950, ENT3960, ENT4950 and ENT4960.

3) EPSEuropean Project Semester:  be a part of a team overseas and fulfill your design requirements in one semester, working on a project with students from other countries.  Look for details on the Study abroad website and meet with the Study Abroad program advisor in IPS, Admin Bldg 200. Your project must be approved by the ECE Department beforehand, to satisfy  EE3901(4900), EE4901, EE4910. Provide detailed project description to your academic advisor. Some HASS credits may be possible.  Senior Class standing at time of project, and EE3131 and EE3171 for EE’s,  or EE3173 for CpE’s must be complete prior to EPS.

4) Other – occasionally another team project experience may apply.  If you find another opportunity where you can apply your major design skills on a team project (such as with another engineering department), you may bring your project course syllabus to the Undergraduate Program Committee for review and possible approval. (see Judy or Liz first)

Engineering Design Prerequisites must be complete, so that you are “Senior Design Ready”.

Engineering Design outcomes: (to be updated…)

  • Ability to design a system, component or process- CpE’s: including an integrated hardware/software system to meet desired needs.  EE: using EE skills and modern EE tools
  • Function on multi-disciplinary team(s) as demonstrated by the execution of a team project that is too large, complex, or diverse for a single person
  • Identify, formulate and solve engineering problems, including the ability to evaluate hardware/software trade-offs (CpE’s).
  • Understand professional and ethical responsibility
  • communicate effectively in IEEE-compatible written and oral presentation styles
  • use relevant techniques, skills and modern EE and/or  computer-engineering tools, including methods and tools for modeling and simulation of digital system performance and dependability
  • ability to function in a major design experience incorporating most of economic, environmental, sustainability, manufacturability, ethical, health and safety, social and political considerations

Senior Rule

While you are a senior, and if you have room in your schedule, you may take credits and reserve them for a “graduate transcript” making the credits available for possible use toward a future graduate degree. Credits taken under “Senior Rule” may not apply to your undergraduate degree.  It is up to your future graduate program whether the credits will be accepted or not.

Information and Senior Rule Form.

ECE Learning and Help Center: EERC 123

The ITC Learning and Help Center is hosting limited Virtual Hours for Summer 2020  via this Zoom Link during the following times:

Sunday, Monday, Thursday:  6pm – 8pm.
Tuesday, Wednesy: 12 – 2pm

_______________ pre spring break:______________________________
The Electrical and Computer Engineering Department’s ITC Learning and Help Center is located in EERC 123.
Coaches are available:

  • MTWR – 1:00 – 4:00pm
  • Sun, MTWR –  6:00 – 8:00 pm
  • Closed during summer
  • Recently renovated with new furniture, lighting and electrical, carpet and whiteboards! (Oops, Yellowboards!)

Coaches provide help for EE2111, EE2174,  and EE3010. Depending on their background, they may be able to help with other classes as well, such as EE3131, EE3171, EE3173, and Math. Room 123 is open 24/7, and you are welcome to study and do homework here.

CpE and EE Double Major

If you enjoy both hardware and software, or can’t decide between EE and CpE, consider a double major.

To  Add a double-major and/or change your primary major, use the Curriculum Add/Drop Form.

Meet all requirements for both majors.  The advising website has sample flowcharts and planning guides:

See the academic advisor for questions and help with planning.  You can start out following the CpE flowhart and add additional courses later on.  It is usually best to make CpE your primary major and EE your secondary major.  You may switch those prior to graduation, if you’d rather have EE as your primary major on your diploma.

Study abroad

Thinking about a Study-Abroad semester?  Mini video(coming soon) – info and tips. (pdf quick viewing)

How about going somewhere warm (or cold) during winter, spring or summer, earning credits (typically gen ed), and having a great experience!

The study-abroad program advisor is Ms. Vienna Chapin, Attend one of the workshops in the Pavlis Honors College,  to find out how to get started:
Tuesdays at 2 pm  and Wednesdays at 11am, 722 M&M Building.

Start your via-TRM portal today!

Go to above link to search for programs  and for application deadlines. EE and CpE Seniors can meet their engineering design requirements in the European Project Semester(EPS) program. The project must be pre-approved for your major prior to beginning EPS. (see blog entry regarding engineering design options)

In addition to the programs listed on the Study Abroad website, be sure to ask about faculty-led international experiences, such as railroad engineering in Finland, or HASS courses in England, Greece and Costa Rica, summer programs.

Contact information:    Study Abroad,  722 M&M,  487-1876,

How can an international experience help you get a job?  Most students grow in certain qualities that will not just add a line to your resume, but boost your skills in areas such as relations, communication, empathy, leadership, integrity, ethics, self-confidence and conflict resolution while you learn about another land and culture. This experience can give your resume a boost when applying for jobs at companies with affiliates in multiple countries.

It certainly gives you an immersive experience in another culture! Through USAC, Viterbo, Italy in Summer 2014 was amazing!  Walking around exploring a medieval walled city, hearing only Italian and not understanding more than a few words, was a unique experience. I absorbed everything I could and enjoyed every second, even  in times of stress (catch the right train?).  Italy is as beautiful as the pictures in magazines. The towns with their Duomos – are magnificent! So much to see and learn! History is well-preserved in central Italy.

Check out the USAC programs – many countries to choose from! More programs are found on the Study Abroad website.


HASS for CpE majors

CpE majors must complete one of the following as part of HASS electives to graduate if using catalog years 2005-2006 through 2012-2013. Does not apply to students using catalog years 2013-2014 and beyond.
Recently added classes are not listed on older flowcharts and degree audits may need a substitution by the advisor.  Do not take SS3640 if you already took a HASS Supplemental course.

  • HU3701 Philosophy of Technology  (fall)
  • SS3510  History of American Technology  (alt springs, summers)
  • SS3520  U.S. Environmental History  (alt springs)
  • SS3521   Energy in American History (alt springs, even)
  • SS3530  The Automobile in America  (fall, summer)
  • SS3580 Technology and Western Civilization (alt falls, odd)
  • SS3630  Environmental Policy and Politics  (fall)
  • SS3640  Selected Topics in Cyber Law (alternate falls)  Supplemental HASS ! caution !
  • SS3800  Energy Technology and Policy (alt springs)
  • SS3810  Anthropology of Science and Technology   (alt springs)

Check online course catalog for semesters offered, pre-requisites, and other course information.

Requirements to change major to ECE major (CpE or EE)

If you are interested in changing your major to either Electrical Engineering or Computer Engineering, you should be aware of a few requirements.

To transfer into the EE major:

  • Must have MA2160 (Calculus II) complete
  • ENGPA 2.75 or higher
    • Or a GPA in CS/EE/MA course of 2.75+ (based on 25 credits of those subjects)
  • Cumulative GPA 2.5 or higher
  • Cannot be on probation status currently
  • Two most recent full semesters must be good academic standing (off probation)

To transfer into the CpE major:

  • Must have MA2160 (Calculus II) complete
  • ENGPA 2.75 or higher
    • Or a GPA in CS/EE/MA course of 2.75+ (based on 25 credits of those subjects)
  • Cumulative GPA 2.5 or higher
  • Cannot be on probation status currently
  • Two most recent full semesters must be Good Academic Standing  (off probation)

What to shoot for early on: Achieve an A or B in programming (CS1121, CS1122 or CS1131), Math (MA1160, MA2160, MA2321, MA3521) and Physics( PH2100 and PH2200) courses to be successful in subsequent ECE classes and career.

CS Placement / Programming Knowledge Assessment

Students interested in Computer Engineering, Computer Science, or a Computer Science Minor:

If you have had programming classes prior to starting at Tech, you should take the Computer Science (CS) Knowledge Assessment. Instructions are mailed the Summer before you begin. Otherwise, contact Leo Ureel at if you wish to try and place into CS1131.

CS Knowledge Assessment webpage

If you pass you will place into CS1131 (5 credits), which is the advanced Introduction to Computer Science course, in lieu of CS1121 (3 credits)  and CS1122 (3 credits).  Contact the CS Department at 906-487-2209 with questions. CpE majors who take CS1131 will need one credit of “CpE technical elective” before you graduate.

Early CS chain:      CS1121 –>  CS1122 –> CS1142     OR CS1131  –>  CS1142 (Programming at the hardware/software interface)