Julia Westfall: Women in STEM Wednesday

The Department of Mechanical Engineering- Engineering Mechanics at Michigan Technological University is proud to present Women in STEM Wednesday! This week we’re featuring 3rd year student Julia Westfall.

DEGREE | WHAT YEAR?
Mechanical Engineering | 3rd Year

WHERE ARE YOU FROM?
Marysville, Michigan

Julia Westfall at Michigan Tech: “You got this. It’ll be difficult.. but worth it!”

WHAT DO YOU LIKE TO DO OUTSIDE OF SCHOOL?
I like participating in STEM outreach, planning activities with friends, and doing anything that will get me up and moving!

FAVORITE PLACE IN THE AREA?
Any place where there are waterfalls.

FAVORITE QUOTE
“He who has a why to live for can bear almost any how” – Friedrich Nietzsche

WHY DID YOU CHOOSE MICHIGAN TECH?
I heard it was a great school for engineering and Tech sent me birthday cards every year (so I thought I’d apply)

WHAT DO YOU LIKE MOST ABOUT TECH?
The opportunities available to students inside and outside of school. Specifically, for job/internship opportunities and extra curriculars.

HOW HAS MICHIGAN TECH IMPACTED YOUR VIEW OF STEM?
Tech has shown me that with perseverance, determination, and a desire to succeed, anyone can pursue a STEM degree.

WHAT ORIGINALLY INTERESTED YOU IN STEM?
The problem solving aspect as well as the creativity and design you can incorporate into it. The ability to study something to understand how it works then using that knowledge to redesign it to make it better!

“Stop comparing yourself to your classmates and just keep trying your best,” says Julia Westfall.

WHAT PIECE OF ADVICE WOULD YOU GIVE YOUR YOUNGER SELF?
Stop comparing yourself to your classmates and just keep trying your best. I was super scared that I would not be able to keep up with my classmates that came from STEM families or that aced all their AP exams. Doing the best you can do and being persistent in giving it your all can do more for you than you could ever imagine.

WHAT WOULD YOU SAY TO STUDENTS THAT ARE INTERESTED IN
STUDYING STEM?

First—“High five!!”
Then—“You got this. It’ll be difficult.. but worth it!”

WHAT DO YOU WANT TO DO TO CHANGE THE WORLD?
I just want to provide a sense of encouragement and energy in other people’s lives in hopes of inspiring them to be the best they can be and to pass that theme on for generations to come.

“Tech has shown me that with perseverance, determination, and a desire to succeed, anyone can pursue a STEM degree.”

Julia Westfall