Hannah Stoll : Women in STEM Wednesday

The Mechanical Engineering – Engineering Mechanics department is proud to feature students and other community members in Women in STEM Wednesday. This week we take a look into the life of alumna Hannah Stoll.

WHERE ARE YOU FROM?

Lansing, MI

Currently live in the Twin Cities working for SICK Sensor Intelligence as a Test Systems Engineer

DEGREE(S) | WHAT YEAR?

BS, Mechanical Engineering  |  2019

MS, Electrical Engineering  |  2020

WHAT GROUPS ARE YOU INVOLVED IN?

I joined a beginner hockey league through AHA with a friend, and I sub in a sand volleyball league. 

WHAT DO YOU LIKE TO DO OUTSIDE OF SCHOOL?

I spend the majority of my time 3D printing, playing video games, creating models and graphics online, hanging out with friends and family, camping, and playing sports.

FAVORITE PLACE IN THE AREA?

My favorite places in the Houghton area would have to be the waterfront trails and covered road. 

FUN FACTS / PETS / FAVORITE QUOTE

I am an only child!  |  No pets yet sadly.  |  Wayne Gretzky: “You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take.”

WHY DID YOU CHOOSE TECH?

I chose MTU to play college basketball, to enjoy the beautiful copper country and its community, and to go to an impressive engineering school.

WHAT DO YOU LIKE MOST ABOUT TECH?

I love the area and the people are just like family. The pep band is amazing and creates atmospheres like no other for all of the sporting events. At tech everyone has a place to feel welcome and a great opportunity to excel and prepare for the future.

HOW HAS TECH IMPACTED YOUR VIEW OF STEM?

MTU showed me how many different areas of STEM there really are and how fun it can be to dig into those topics. There is no getting bored as there is plenty to learn no matter what age you are! STEM also has so many great career opportunities to choose from. 

WHAT ORIGINALLY INTERESTED YOU IN STEM?

I have always enjoyed messing around on the computer, building things, and knowing how stuff works! I first took a class in my early high school years where I got to do some CAD modeling and woodshop work.

WHAT PIECE OF ADVICE WOULD YOU GIVE YOUR YOUNGER SELF?

I would tell my younger self to get into programming sooner because it could have made my life a lot easier in school 😉 

WHAT WOULD YOU SAY TO STUDENTS THAT ARE INTERESTED IN STUDYING STEM?

I would tell them to ask their peers and professors about real world applications and focus on what interests them because it will help them go in the right direction to find a job they really like in the future! P.S. – The hard work is really worth it!

WHAT DO YOU WANT TO DO TO CHANGE THE WORLD?

I will continue to work with new and upcoming technologies to advance our industries and make an impact on future generations. 

If you would like to nominate a student, graduate, or community member for Women in STEM Wednesday, please email Donna Jeno-Amici (djenoami@mtu.edu) or Meg Raasakka (mraasakk@mtu.edu).