Why Is It Important To Send My Child To Camp?
Developed from an article shared by the American Camp Association
Youth development experts agree that children need a variety of experiences in their lives to help them grow into healthy adolescents and adults. For children to develop positive behaviors, their experiences must produce:
- A sense of industry and competency
- Do they develop skills? Do they learn to work for what is important? Are they successful at what they do?
- A feeling they are connected to others and to society
- Do they feel like they “fit”? Do they see a role they can play in their group, family, or community? Do they have friends?
- A belief in their ability to make decisions
- Do they learn to make good choices? Do they see the results of their decisions?
- A stable identity
- Are they learning what their skills are? Are they receiving positive feedback about themselves?
The mission of Summer Youth Programs to provide quality, innovative teaching and learning experiences that promote academic studies, college life, and career awareness. Through hands-on, discovery based programs, students break out of their comfort zone and stretch their imaginations-without the pressure of grades, exams, or assignments. Our facilities, along with research and teaching faculty, deans, and advisers, help students develop college and career goals. Current Michigan Tech students serve as role models, providing inspiration, encouragement and guidance.
We survey students each year to determine the impact of our programs on this mission. Here is information gathered from the 2017 Summer Youth Programs student surveys.
- 96% of students would recommend their exploration to others
- 92% of students felt their exploration differed from their classrooms back home
- 88% of students gained confidence in their ability to be successful in a college atmosphere
- 86% of students showed interest in coming back for another summer
- 66% of students felt more likely to attend college
Camp and summer programs provide an excellent experience for your child to learn and develop and is uniquely positioned to provide many key developmental needs for children. Consider camp as the perfect partner to family, school, and community youth activities in helping your child learn independence, decision-making, social and emotional skills, character building and values – all in an atmosphere of creativity and enrichment under the supervision of positive adult role models.
“I found my passion. Thank you for the best experience of my life. Everyone should attend a camp like this before college.” – 2018 Women in Engineering attendee
In today’s pressure-oriented society, camp provides a non-threatening environment for youth to be active, to develop competence in life skills, to learn about and enhance their own abilities and to benefit from meaningful participation in a community designed just for them. In addition, our programs invite students to dive into STEM and learning intentionally and purposefully. Students gain valuable insight into what their future career could look like before they even begin college.