The Pages List View provides access to functionality relating to creating new content, uploading, and editing content. It provides a view of the pages, files, and directories that make up the site, and the additional functionality that is available for each file and directory. You can get to this area from the Content button in the global navigation bar or Content>Pages.
A gadget is a little program that provides additional functionality or streamlined access to functionality within OU Campus. Additional gadgets may be created at any time and gadget access may be limited by a user’s permissions. Some gadgets are only located on the Dashboard or on the Gadgets sidebar, while others are available in both locations.
Each individual user can choose which gadgets to show or hide on their Dashboard or Gadgets sidebar; some gadgets are context-specific, meaning that they will only appear when viewing a page or inside an editable region.
The OU Campus Dashboard provides a location within the CMS where you can access user-specific messaging and gadgets. The Dashboard is the default log-in location from the standard OU Campus Login screen when not using DirectEdit.
In the Dashboard menu on the global navigation bar, you can find links to Workflow and Inbox. These options are also found beneath your name on the Dashboard overview page.
The Dashboard can be customized by choosing which gadgets to show or hide in the view as discussed in the Dashboard Gadgets section.
The global navigation bar, found at the top of the screen, is the primary way that you will navigate through OU Campus.
- Dashboard: Includes access to your workflow, inbox, and Dashboard gadgets. The Dashboard is the default location when you are not logging in via a DirectEdit link on a page.
- Content: The Content menu includes access to the main area for editing pages and assets. It consists of several items, depending on your permission level.
- Reports: Provides access to administrative-level reporting and content management functionality based on your permissions level.
- Add-Ons: Provides access to additional applications for access through the OU Campus interface. Access to add-ons may be limited by your permissions.
- User Avatar and User Name: The menu provides access to your settings.
- Help: Help menu items include access to the Webmaster’s Blog, OU Campus Support Site, and other OU Campus webpages.
Get to know the OU Campus interface by reading the following blog posts before your in-person training session.
- Learning the Terminology: Refer to this glossary of terminology, sorted alphabetically to learn more about unfamiliar words.
- Global Navigation Bar: The global navigation bar is the primary way that you will navigate through OU Campus.
- Dashboard: The Dashboard provides a location within the CMS where you can access user-specific messaging and gadgets.
- Gadgets: A gadget is a little program that provides additional functionality or streamlined access to functionality.
- Pages List View: The Pages list view provides access to functionality relating to creating new content, uploading, and editing content.
- File Status: Learn more about the statuses a file may be in and how to tell.
- Editable Regions: Editable regions are sections of a page that can be edited.
- TinyMCE Editor (JustEdit): Learn about the tools available in the editor.
At training you will receive a copy of Michigan Tech’s OU Campus CMS Workbook, which is also available electronically. The workbook has a revision number and date on the cover and you are welcome to print new copies as needed. The Webmaster’s Blog provides additional documentation and videos that you can refer to when you need help in the CMS. If you have any questions that are not answered in the workbook or the blog, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are interested, the CMS vendor, OU Campus, has a support site that includes additional documentation and video tutorials. Keep in mind, however, that not all content may be applicable to Michigan Tech, we may implement parts differently, and we have many Michigan Tech-specific instructions not covered in their materials.