Student Linux Support Technician(2021-2022)
Job #5665718, Created 11/19/2021
Apply on Handshake
Michigan Tech Information Technology is hiring a Student Linux Support Technician. Our IT Operations department is looking for somebody who is able to work and grow their skills in a Linux environment. Must be able to work throughout the Spring, and Summer(required) semesters. Customer service skills are required as there will be times where you will be expected to work closely with faculty, staff, and students here on campus.
The position requires that you be able to work a minimum of 10-15 hours a week during the fall and spring semesters. The position will start as soon as possible and 30-40 hour work weeks will be available throughout the summer. We expect our students to be responsible, able to function with minimal supervision, and able to maintain a class and work schedule but we are flexible around classes and exams. Position starts at $9.87/hr during it’s probation period and increases based on skills and abilities.
Our preference will be for students who will be at the University for at least 2 more years.
Needed Skills and Abilities:
- Understand how to work inside a terminal environment
- Experience working with rpm’s inside a RedHat Enterprise Linux distro (CentOS, Fedora, RHEL, etc)
- Experience with Foreman, Puppet, Kickstart Files, RedHat Network Satellite, or other tools is a plus
- Scripting (Python experience is a plus)
- Customer service skills are required
- Job Responsibilities
- Support existing operations with hardware and software support
- Work closely with faculty, staff and students on Linux based issues
- Package and test applications for our various Linux environments
- Deploy new Linux computer systems
- Document Linux application install instructions
- Problem solve Linux issues with minimal supervision
- Handle walk-ins and service requests submitted to our ticket tracking system
A condition of employment with IT is that student employees consent to have their academic standing reviewed. By applying for this position, you are giving consent to have a University designated administrator verify your standing at the end of each semester you are employed within Information Technology. If you are not in good standing you may be required to meet with your supervisor and/or another staff member designated to supporting student success at Michigan Tech.
- Graduation Date – No Graduation Date set
- School Years – Freshman, Sophomore, Junior
- Major – Computer Programming, Computer Systems Networking & Telecommunications, Computer Science, Information Systems Management, Cyber Security, Software Design, User Experience/Social Computing
- GPA – No GPA preference set
- Work Authorization – US work authorization is not required