Michigan Tech’s online Master of Science in Health Informatics has been ranked 17th on a list of the 25 best online master’s degree programs in health informatics. The list is published by The Center for Online Education.
“The current job market for healthcare informatics is growing twice as fast as overall employment; 22 percent by 2022; yet the U.S. is already seeing a shortage of qualified workers,” the Center for Online Education website says. “A large reason is due to the lack of individuals possessing both medical and technical knowledge to properly innovate in the field.”
Michigan Tech’s Health Informatics program has been developed specifically for this specialized need.
The Michigan Tech Health Informatics graduate program can be completed entirely online, making it a convenient for working professionals. Graduates are prepared for professions that require a deep understanding of disease management, evidence-based medicine, and health-care security.
Health Informatics students select one of three options:
- Thesis Option: Requires in-depth research.
- Practicum Option: Requires an independent study project
- Coursework Option: Requires successful completion of at least 30 academic credits through online or on-campus courses.
Coursework topics include:
- Decision support systems
- Global health informatics
- Home care
Graduates are prepared to enter careers in a variety of fields including:
- Information security firms
- Public health organizations,