GLRC Invited Campus Talk with Andrew Whetten Is July 13, 3 pm

GLRC logo

GLRC Invited Campus Talk with Andrew Whetten

Please join the Great Lakes Research Center (GLRC) on Thursday (July 13) from 3-4 p.m. in GLRC 202 for an invited campus talk by Andrew Whetten titled “Data Science Practice and Theory in the Environmental and Biological Sciences.”

From the abstract:
Data collected in the environmental and biological sciences regularly challenges existing quantitative methods and practices. Towards supporting pressing conservation and sustainability efforts, the study of complex biological processes requires timely, pragmatic, and accessible methodology. I will discuss ongoing and planned efforts of my research program to provide such methodology, guidelines, and support for federal and academic researchers. I will also present a broad summary of my research in conservation of threatened and endangered bird species (e.g., lesser prairie-chicken), animal interaction, and management of disease in animal populations (e.g., chronic wasting disease). I will also summarize my work promoting the use of unsupervised machine learning and feature engineering to enhance the analysis of animal movement and satellite derived vegetation data.