Duo coming to Google

On Tuesday, July 13, at 8:00 a.m., the Duo two-step authentication system currently used to access Canvas and Banweb will be extended to the University’s email workspace. Once this system is in place, the sign-in process for email will have a new look. Enter your email address and you will be sent to a Michigan Tech sign-in page where you will be asked to submit your username and password. Once you submit this information, you will need to follow the prompts from Duo.

If you are signed into Canvas, Banweb, or any other SSO service, you will not be asked for authentication to access your email account. The “Remember me for 30 days” option will work for all SSO logins, including Google.

If you currently use Google’s multifactor authentication system, you will automatically be reverted to the Duo system.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. I use Thunderbird, Outlook, AppleMail, etc., to access my email – will this still work?
Yes, you can continue to use these applications to access your email.  In most cases you will not notice any change. You would only be prompted by Duo if you are asked to login to your email account.

Q. How will this affect my email on my phone?
As long as you have set up your email account on your phone using the Google setup option you will continue to operate as normal.  In most cases you will not notice any change. You would only be prompted by Duo if you are asked to login to your email account.

Q. Who will require Duo?  Faculty, Staff? Students? What if I graduate and become an alumni?
Faculty, staff, and students will be required to use Duo.  If you transition from a student to an alumni, the Duo requirement will be removed.

Q. I don’t have a phone or my phone doesn’t work where I’m at. How do I get my email once Duo is required?
You have two options:

1. If you normally use the Duo app on your cell phone you can go into that app and pick the Duo-protected Michigan Tech option to obtain a 6-digit code that can be used when prompted for Duo.
  2. You can also obtain a keyfob from the Michigan Tech IT Technical Assistance Center in the Van Pelt and Opie Library that can be used to generate a 6-digit code for Duo

Q. Does this only affect email or all Google apps under mtu.edu?
This applies to all Google apps you use under your Michigan Tech Google account

Q. How will Duo work for organizational or group email accounts that are shared by multiple people?
These accounts should continue to work without requiring Duo as it is only required on student, faculty, and staff accounts. We recommend setting up delegation of the email account to the people who need to access it. You can email it-help@mtu.edu with the shared account and who to delegate it to – along with any changes over time.

If you use this account for Google Drive, we recommend switching to a shared Google drive and sharing it again to the folks who need access to the documents stored there.

Q.  I’m having a hard time getting Duo to remember me for 30 days. What can I do or where can I go for help?
You can contact us at it-help@mtu.edu or stop by the Technical Assistance Center in the Van Pelt and Opie Library.