By now, many of you have heard of the data breach at Anthem, which may have also leaked data of Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan (BCBSM) members. While BCBSM is still investigating what member data has been breached, we do know that Anthem stored data on BCBSM members who received health care in a number of states outside of Michigan. The data accessed includes names, date of birth, member ID/social security numbers, addresses, phone numbers, emails addresses, and employment information.
Though the investigation as to the extent of the exposure of BCBSM data is still underway, there are a number of steps that all users should take:
- Monitor you current accounts for any unusual activity. Data from the breach may be used to try to answer security questions and access your accounts.
- Sign up for fraud alerts with each of the three major credit bureaus. This will notify potential credit grantors to verify your identity before extending credit. This will stay on your account for 90 days and will allow time for BCBSM to complete their investigation.
- Obtain a current copy of your credit report. You can receive a free copy of your credit report once every 12 months at: https://www.annualcreditreport.com.
- Be aware of unexpected changes to your credit report or credit score. Many sites will monitor your credit but may charge a fee. CreditKarma is a well-respected free site for monitoring your credit score and can be found at: https://www.creditkarma.com.
- Be suspicious of any email related to the breach that asks you to give personal information. Anthem will be directly notifying all impacted members via postal mail and will advise you on the next steps to take. Many cyber criminals are using the incident to target potential members with phishing attempts. If you receive an email that appears to be from Anthem and contains a “click here” link for credit monitoring, it is a scam!
DO NOT click on any links in an email appearing to be from Anthem.
- DO NOT reply to the email or reach out to the senders in any way
- DO NOT supply any information on the website that may open if you do click on a link.
- DO NOT open any attachments that arrive with email.
- If you have received heath care services in California, Colorado, Connecticut, Georgia, Indiana, Kentucky, Maine, Missouri, Nevada, New Hampshire, New York, Ohio, Virginia or Wisconsin, you should contact Anthem at 1-877-263-7995 or visit their website: http://www.anthemfacts.com/.