The Federal Railroad Administration recently released a Broad Agency 2021 Announcement (BAA) research program opportunity. Michigan Tech researchers from several departments have had great success in these projects in the past. To date, we’ve received over $2 million in funding for five projects. In addition, the three proposals from BAA 2020 listed below are expected to be awarded in near future.
- Railroad Crossing Vehicle Warning (RCVW) Application Demonstrations with Connected Vehicles ($380,705)
- An Integrated and Automated Decision Support System for Ground Hazard Risk Mitigation for Railway ($694,922)
- Expanding Summer Youth Programs through Virtual Learning and a National Campus Network ($474,695)
Anyone interested in expanding their research portfolio to railway research topics is encouraged to:
- Review the topics of interest by the FRA (Appendix C)
- Watch a short video on the program by Pasi Lautala, Director of Michigan Tech’s Rail Transportation Program here (passcode: FRA-BAA2021)
- Contact Pasi Lautala to discuss potential topic ideas and/or
- Develop a brief, max. one page idea summary and send it to Lautala ASAP, but no later than April 30
We will send all project ideas to FRA for an early feedback and submit full concept papers (max. five pages) on those recommended by the FRA. After review, FRA will request full proposals on those concept papers they are interested in funding.
Feel free to contact Lautala if you have any questions or need additional clarifications … and feel free to distribute this information to your colleagues who might be interested.
By Pasi Lautala.