Alberto Mejía: New Faculty Spotlight

Portrait photo of Alberto Mejia
Bienvenido, Dr. Alberto Mejía!

Luis Alberto Mejía Manzano comes to Michigan Tech from Monterrey, Mexico, where he earned his MS and PhD in Biotechnology at the Instituto Tecnologico y de Estudios Superiores de Monterrey (ITESM). He earned his undergraduate degree in Biotechnology Engineering, Universidad Politécnica de Pachuca. Welcome, Dr. Mejía!

What drew you to Michigan Tech?

I am here at Michigan Tech for a research stay in bioprocessing and virus purification. I will also be contributing my own expertise in the field.

What is your primary area of research and what led you to it?

I am focused on the design of green bioprocessing for the recovery of high value biomolecules and bioparticles.

Can you share a little more about your research and what you like about it?

I have worked in the purification of PEG-modified proteins/enzymes (PEGylated). They are used as biopharmaceuticals in the treatment of several diseases. They’re also of interest in the recovery and purification of anticancer, low-molecular weight compounds such as flavonoids. The purpose is to design more adequate, efficient and sustainable bioprocesses.

What do you consider an important long-term goal for your research?

I want to generate new knowledge and new practical applications of our research. These offer solutions to current and future human needs in food safety, as well as health care and treatment.

“Realize your dreams, contribute in your profession to humanity in a positive way.”

Advice for incoming students from Dr. Alberto Mejía, Chemical Engineering Adjunct Assistant Professor and Research Assistant Professor

What do you hope to accomplish, as an educator and as a researcher, over the next few years?

One goal is to discover a novel bioprocess for obtaining these bioproducts, all the while teaching through my experience in research. I hope to inspire a new generation of professionals.

What do you like to do in your spare time?

I like to spend time with my family, friends, reading thriller/science fiction novels and hiking.

What’s your favorite book, movie, or piece of art?

In general, I like suspense books and movies.

Dr. Mejía, Michigan Tech’s Mont Ripley is a great place to hike and enjoy the fall colors!

Any favorite sports on campus, in Houghton, or in the UP?

Hiking is also considered for me a sport.

Any advice for incoming students?

Realize your dreams, contribute in your profession to humanity in a positive way. Be sure to enjoy the diverse options you have available right here on the MTU campus.