Tyson Kauppinen: New Staff Spotlight

Tyson Kauppinen

In his role as Laboratory Technician, Tyson Kauppinen assists with construction, installation and repair of lab equipment. This is no small feat, considering the number and size of labs in the Department of Chemical Engineering at Michigan Tech.

Kauppinen comes to Michigan Tech from Carey Design Build in Iron Mountain. He earned an Associate’s degree in Mechanical Engineering Technology from Gogebic Community College.

What drew you to Michigan Tech?

I grew up in Calumet, Michigan. Being local to the area, of course I love the beautiful views the Upper Peninsula has to offer. But mainly I came to Michigan Tech in order to be able to put everything I’ve learned at school together with my work experience, in order to help others with their various projects and research.

“Be involved in something.”

Tyson Kauppinen’s advice for incoming students.

What do you like to do in your spare time?

I like to spend time outdoors, as well as doing some woodworking, making furniture.

What’s your favorite book, movie, or piece of art?

My favorite movie is Miracle.

Houghton, Michigan is the birthplace of professional hockey.

Any favorite spots on campus, in Houghton, or in the UP?

My favorite sport is hockey. It’s a great sport to be interested in when you get to work and live in the city where professional hockey was born.

Any advice for incoming students?

Be involved in something. That is my piece of advice. To be involved with a group or organization builds connections and friendships, and makes coming to school/work every day much more enjoyable.