Kaiwu Huang: New Faculty Spotlight

Kaiwu Huang, Research Assistant Professor, Chemical Engineering

Kaiwu Huang comes to Michigan Tech from Virginia Tech, where he worked as a research associate in the Department of Mining and Minerals Engineering. He earned his BS in Mining and Minerals Engineering at China University of Mining and Technology in Beijing, and his MS and PhD in Mining and Minerals Engineering at Virginia Tech. Welcome, Dr. Huang!

What drew you to Michigan Tech?

First, my background and training in mineral processing drew me here—they’re a great fit for my current position. Second, the Department of Chemical Engineering has a strong program in mineral processing, especially in battery recycling, fine particle processing, and CO2 capture. The faculty members who interviewed me were very energetic and passionate about their work in this area. As a passionate person myself, I knew I would enjoy working with a group of passionate colleagues. Finally, I like snow sports. I’m looking forward to winter in Houghton already!

What is your primary area of research and what led you to it?

My primary area of research is mineral processing. I was a big fan of minerals and rocks as a child. The shapes and colors of these minerals built by Mother Nature are wonderful. More importantly, mineral processing is closely related to our daily life. Almost all raw materials we use today come from different minerals. Using these minerals in an efficient way is extremely important for the environment and sustainability.

More specifically, my research interests include mineral flotation, solid/liquid separation (dewatering), carbon ore beneficiation, rare earth extraction, and copper concentration. With my mineral processing research I seek to help the mining industry increase sustainability, increase profit, and reduce environmental impact.

Dr. Huang attended ACS Spring 2023: Crossroads of Chemistry, last March in Indianapolis.

What do you consider an important long-term goal for your research?

I want to contribute ways to efficiently use natural mineral resources and improve sustainability. I would also like to dedicate myself to developing the domestic supply chain of critical minerals.

What do you hope to accomplish, as an educator and as a researcher, over the next few years?

My goals are to publish high-quality papers in top-ranked journals, give presentations in national and international conferences, like SME and ACS annual conferences, and write winning proposals to different funding agencies and companies.

“Stay hungry, stay foolish.”

Dr. Kaiwu Huang’s advice for advice for incoming students at Michigan Tech? His favorite quote from Steve Jobs.

What do you like to do in your spare time?

Fishing and skiing

What’s your favorite book, movie, or piece of art?

Titanic

Any favorite spots on campus, in Houghton, or in the UP?

Bridgeview Park

Lift Bridge and green trees across Portage Waterway
Dr. Huang’s favorite spot, Bridgeview Park, runs along the waterfront in downtown Houghton.