Michigan Tech IT is preparing to roll out this version to campus in the upcoming months.
- Office 2019 is available for Mac OS and Windows 10
- Mainstream (non-paid) support for Office 2016 ends October 2020
- There are almost no visual differences between Office 2016 and 2019
- Office 2019 will be 64-bit, allowing for access to more system resources during calculations.
- Some have reported having issues in the past with files not being compatible between Office 2016 and older versions of the software. Microsoft has stated that this is not an issue with Office 2019.
- Like students, faculty and staff have access to Office 365, which automatically updates. More information is available at our Software Download Center.
- Office 2016 is the last version of Microsoft Office that is compatible with Windows 7
- We strongly encourage faculty and staff who rely on Office Add-ins to get involved with the testing and let us know about your experience.
- Installing Office 2019 will uninstall any other versions of Office installed. You cannot run multiple versions at the same time.
- Existing Office Add-ins (Aspen, ChemDraw, JMP, Endnote, etc.) may need to be reinstalled or may stop working in Office 2019.
November thru New Year—Early testing
Starting in mid-November, IT will make Office 2019 available to faculty and staff through the Software Center in Windows 10 and to MacOS machines running 10.12/10.13/10.14 through JAMF Self Service. Faculty and staff with laptops or off-domain machines can contact our Help Desk Consultants to arrange a time to install the software.
All campus-connected systems with Office versions older than 2016 will be upgraded to at least Office 2016. All new faculty and staff computers purchased will have Office 2019 installed by default. Office 2016 will remain in the campus computer labs throughout fall and spring semesters.
Following Spring Commencement, campus computer labs, as well as remaining faculty and staff on-campus computers, will be upgraded to Office 2019.
Questions, comments or concerts? We can help. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 7-1111.