We have announced that IT is currently planning to move departmental file shares to our new storage system.
During this process, we will try to preserve file names, permissions, and other metadata when moving files. However, it may be necessary to change some file names if they contain:
- Special characters such as: \ / : * ? < > |
- Certain language character sets
Additionally, some file systems are more complex and may need special attention. These often involve:
- Non-standard file and folder permissions, such as manually-added special permissions
- Some file shares used in both Windows and Linux
- Files containing hard links
If we determine your files need special attention and a reboot is required, we will contact you to arrange scheduled downtime at a time that works for you.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact us at email@example.com or 7-1111.