How to change your major or add a major/minor and/or concentration:

Change my major or add a major/minor and/or concentration: Meet with your new (or maybe your current) advisor. Advisors for each major and minor are listed online.  The advisor for the major you want to be in can answer how your credits already taken will apply, what your next semester’s registration should be, when courses are offered, possible time to graduation, etc.

  1. Find out the latest requirements for your proposed major/minor and/or concentration from the departmental advisor offering the curriculum. See Degree Audits / Minor Audits and/or go to the department website for flowcharts. Find out requirements for declaring a new major regarding GPA, probation status, etc.
  2. Some credits you’ve taken may be applied toward your new curriculum – see the new advisor to confirm your progress towards the new requirements and get any information on possible substitutions.
  3. The new curriculum advisor will handle all course enrollment issues for their curriculum and will register students and/or process waivers as appropriate.
  4. Use this link to see the process to request a change to your major, add/drop a major, add/drop a minor and/or add a concentration.  See the Registrar’s Office to drop a concentration.  Major add or change requests must be made by 5:00 pm on Wednesday of Week 2 to be effective that semester. Requests made after Wednesday of Week 2 will be effective the following semester.  You may need registration waivers for the following semester if your request is after this date. Minor or concentration add or change requests will become effective for the current semester, regardless of when submitted.  Curriculum drops become effective immediately in the current semester. If you are interested in getting a dual degree you should first express your interest to the additional major’s advisor.  If Mechanical Engineering is your primary major, adding a major is almost never a double major.  You should request to add a dual degree.
  5. All add or change requests require advisor approval. Please feel free to contact the advisor of the major/minor/concentration you are adding PRIOR TO using the request system.
  6. A minor requires a minimum of 18 credit hours of course work, but the actual number of credits required varies. Of the minimum 18 credits required, at least 9 credits of the 3000-level or higher courses must be taken at Michigan Tech (not transfer or external placement credits). Students interested in adding a minor to their degree program must consult an academic advisor for their major as well as the minor advisor. It is a good idea to provide a copy of the minor audit, showing the planned completion of that curriculum, to the major advisor. The major advisor can help identify courses that double-count and thereby the number of any additional credits that may be necessary for that major/minor combination.
  7. Credits may count towards both your major and minor. Some minor courses are also ME technical electives and some minor courses are HASS General Education distribution courses, depending on which minor is being considered. Some minor courses may even be specific requirements for your major as well as the minor.
  8. For ME students, the ME-EM department minors (Aerospace Engineering, Manufacturing, and Naval Systems Engineering) can be earned for no additional credits.  The credits for these minors will completely double-count for ME majors if the right technical electives are chosen.
  9. Minors have no minimum additional credit requirements. However, you may need to plan for extra credits if pursuing a minor outside of the ME-EM Dept (e.g. electrical engineering).
  10. Credits may not be shared between 2 minors.
  11. Declared minors must be completed in order to award the degree associated with a minor. An incomplete minor will delay the awarding of the degree and processing of the diploma (i.e. a degree and associated minor(s) must be completed concurrently). A minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 for courses completed as part of the minor must be earned in order to award the minor. Minors may be dropped by students to allow the graduation process to proceed if desired.
  12. You must declare a minor to receive it, even if all the courses are already completed. The minor must be declared prior to graduation.
  13. Mechanical Engineering-Enterprise students must declare the Enterprise Concentration through this process.  If you need to drop this concentration, that must be done through the Registrar’s Office.  Concentrations cannot be dropped online.
  14. Dropping a double major, dual degree, minor or concentration does not require advisor approval.